Ambassatours Gray Line is one of Canada's premier sightseeing tour companies. Based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the company has operated land and water tours for over 30 years in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and for over 40 years in Niagara Falls, Ontario. As an elite Gray Line provider, Ambassatours creates and delivers memorable, world caliber traveler experiences in its many destinations.
Ambassatours Gray Line is looking for Captains and Mates to operate our tour vessels in Halifax Harbour. These vessels include the Silva (150 passengers), the Harbour Queen I (200 passengers), and the Kawartha Spirit (200 passengers). Our operation runs from May through October. We have an irregular schedule including operating days, evenings, and weekends 7 days a week. Ambassatours provides a positive and inclusive work culture that is dedicated to promoting job satisfaction and growth. As a team we create a vibrant environment for all our guests and employees. Come join us and contribute to making a difference in people's daily lives and showcase what our crew, vessels and city have to offer.
What you'll do
Reporting to the Lead Captain the incumbent will be responsible for:
- Operating Transport Canada Inspected Passenger Vessels in a manner that ensures the Safety and Security of the Crew, Enjoyment of the Passengers, and Respect for the Environment.
- Operating the vessel with due regard for the Ambassatours Safety Management System (SMS), proper Standards of Watch Standing and Wheelhouse Resources Management, and in accordance with the practice of good seamanship.
- Directly supervising Crew Members in all areas of Marine Transportation Safety and Training.
- Routinely inspecting all areas of the vessel for unsafe conditions.
- Routinely conducting Emergency Drills in accordance with Transport Canada regulations to always ensure a routinely efficient and safe operation of the vessel and the proper use of equipment during any possible onboard emergency.
- Maintaining Vessel Operations and Maintenance Logs, Personnel Reports, and all other Ship's Business records.
- Ensuring that a clean workplace i.e., restrooms, trash, common areas, gangways, and the wheelhouse is maintained throughout the day, at beginning and at ending of shifts.
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following skill sets to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Problem solving-the individual identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Demonstrated ability- safely operate Transport Canada inspected commercial vessels.
- Communication - speaks clearly and professionally.
- Customer service-the individual manages difficult client/customer situations, responds promptly to customer needs, solicits customer feedback to improve service, responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments.
- Physical demands - the individual occasionally may have the ability to move or lift up to 50lbs.
- Quality control-the individual demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors their own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Dependability-the individual reports to work on time, follow instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and Security-the individual observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
What you'll need
- Master Limited 60 Gross Tonnage or more
- Chief Mate, 60 Gross Tonnage or more
- Current Marine Medical
- SVMO considered an asset
- Previous commercial passenger vessel experience considered an asset
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Ambassatours Gray Line Ltd.
Ambassatours is the top provider of shore excursions for the cruise lines arriving seasonally in the port of Halifax. We offer a wide variety of tour guiding opportunities in many entertaining and interesting tours including Hop On Hop Off sightseeing tours aboard vintage British double decker buses, coach, walking and hiking tours.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
- Employee wears company branded apparel- provided by the company.
- Captains- Starting at hourly $37.80
Mates- Starting at hourly $33.60
Season end bonus of 12.5% for 2023 tour season commitment
Assistance with Marine qualifications advancement
Overtime available during peak season (July and August)
Flexible schedule- days, evenings, and nights 7 days a week