Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) division and the Department of Health and Wellness. As well, EMC operates TeleHealth 811 medical communications for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
EMC delivers a high-quality pre-hospital care program and TeleHealth service to Nova Scotians each and every day. We achieve this through the more than 1,400 employees who work with us including highly-trained paramedics, nurses, medical communication officers and support staff.
As a member of the 811 team, the Telehealth Associate acts as the first point of access to Telecare Services and responds to all incoming calls; manages the call queue within quality standards and specifications for the Telecare Services; supports workforce and quality activities.
What you'll do
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Practices within the scope, process and policy frameworks of the program and the role defined for Telehealth Associates
- Answers incoming calls
- If indicated as per call processing policy, transfers incoming calls directly to the Ambulance Dispatch Center, a Telehealth Nurse, or Clinical Therapist
- Manages the call queue within the decision support software and in accordance with established policy
- Reports unusual calls or occurrences to the on-duty Clinical Shift Supervisor or Operation Support Team Leader in a timely manner
- Completes other administrative support activities as required
- Respects quality standards and contributes to service excellence
- Implements continuous quality improvement principles by serving callers in a respectful, courteous, confidential and caring manner
- Participates in and enhances unit function through team meeting attendance, effective team communication, support for changes to improve service and morale and contributions to work discussions
- Participates in staff orientation and continuing education sessions as required
What you'll need
- Minimum of 1 year of relevant experience, with work experience in a healthcare or customer call center environment considered an asset
- Strong computer and telecommunication skills
- Knowledge of computer environments and basic computer programs (word processing, data entry, spreadsheets)
- Advanced ability to establish rapport through telephone contact
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Capacity to work in a team environment and support co-workers
- Ability to identify opportunities for personal, team and service improvement and recommend workable solutions
- Willingness to seek opportunities to advance professional development, such as volunteering for special projects or participating as a committee member
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts, 7 days a week
- While all applicants are welcome to apply, preference will be given to Bilingual (French/English) candidates
A little bit about us
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC)
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services (MHS) that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) Operations division and the Department of Health and Wellness.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Emergency Medical Care falls under the Nova Scotia provincial protocol for mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination. In accordance with this mandate, subject to any approved accommodation, all new employees hired or existing employees (applying for new positions), will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, "fully vaccinated" means 14 days or more after receiving the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the citizens we serve. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, cultures, races, perspectives and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, persons of any sexual orientations and gender identities and/or expressions, Indigenous persons, African Canadians, other racialized groups, persons with disabilities. Candidates who identify as being from any of these groups are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.