We're looking for someone to help us help developers.
In our Technical Editor role, you will make navigating the often-complex world of cloud development easy. You will help us connect developers with the services and tools they need to be successful. Manifold is blazing a trail for new ways of working with cloud services, and you'll be a key part in clearing that path for those who will follow.
You'll be responsible for our documentation as a whole, assessing where to work first. Does it help the right people? What areas need the most help? How do we track that, and build processes to improve? How should we track our progress? Are there tools better suited to building our knowledge base?
You'll be farming out writing to our developer SMEs as an editor (check out our blog for examples of their work -- it'll be even better with you helping), as well as doing some writing of your own.
Documentation that needs work will include
- Support walkthroughs and instructions for providers who want to join our marketplace
- Developer help documents on using our tools, and hooking up to the services on the marketplace
- SDKs and API documentation
What you'll do
- Be responsible for the overall quality of our documentation, including prioritization of pressing needs
- Perform heavy and developmental editing when needed
- Assign documentation tasks to our developers and SME, and help them complete it
- Write documentation as required
- Collaborate with design, product managers, and developers
- Advocate for the audience in determining documentation needs
- Build processes to ensure docs stay relevant
- Recommend improvements to our processes, tools, and product
What you'll need
- Required: Strong communication skills with a team-centric approach to discussion and decision-making. Empathy and respect for others, with "strong opinions loosely held."
- Required: Showing drafts for fast feedback
- Required: previous editing and writing experience for a developer audience
- Required: use of and advocacy for the Oxford Comma
- Extremely helpful: Technical or marketplace experience (our product touches on things like APIs, Integrations and a command line interface)
- Extremely helpful: Experience working in a global, distributed team
We're looking for
A little bit about us
We're a venture-backed company that is distributed around North America. Our home base is Halifax, Nova Scotia. We have a shared passion for making developers' lives easier. Our backgrounds reflect that, having worked at npm, Red Hat, Heroku, LinkedIn, Canonical, and more.
- flexible working hours
- 15 days of vacation your first year that you will be encouraged to use
- statutory/federal holidays, plus the whole company takes the last week of the year off
- yearly professional development allowance of $2,000 towards education, training, conferences, or any education tool that helps your career
- excellent health, vision, and dental insurance for you and your family that starts on your first day of work
- health and wellness allowance
- home office allowance for remote workers
- up to 16 weeks fully paid maternity or paternity leave after one year at Manifold, with additional 8 weeks of unpaid leave if necessary
- use of a laptop, large monitor, and equipment for everyone, remote or at our office
If you're in the United States, we also offer 401(k) for pre-tax retirement savings, although contributions are unmatched at this early stage in the company's growth.
We care about our code of conduct and ask all of our employees to abide by it.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
We believe that the best new companies are distributed. Our headquarters are in Halifax, Canada and about a quarter of our team is there, with others living all over North America. We are looking for someone living anywhere in Canada for this position. Please apply here, or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.