About the Team
We are seeking a self-starter with demonstrated problem solving skills to join the Finance Team as Team Lead, Reconciliations. This position reports to the AVP, Reconciliations with primary responsibility for overseeing all reconciliations for Bermuda and Cayman. This role ensures that control procedures are maintained in accordance with established guidelines and policies.
About the Team
The Finance team plays an important role in supporting Butterfield's businesses by providing high-quality planning, reporting, regulatory and accounting services. It's a fast-paced environment with a global remit. Working with colleagues across the Bank, the Finance team provides senior management with the expertise required to measure the Bank's performance and shape Butterfield's future plans.
What you'll do
- Leading all aspects of the reconciliations team, ensuring strict adherence to existing policies and procedures.
- Establishing training programs to develop requisite skill sets and technical competence in the maintenance of the reconciliations function.
- Overseeing the coordination, training, and supervision of a team of reconciliation analysts based in Halifax to ensure high productivity and service standards in daily reconciliation operations.
- Producing consistently accurate data, timely information, and reports by gathering and analysing data to ensure financial statements, bank reconciliations, and other accounting related activities are statutorily and legally appropriate and within the guidelines of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Overseeing all assigned reconciliations discrepancies, determining most appropriate methods to correct discrepancies and preparing corrections
- Assisting in developing control and reporting systems to enhance the efficiency and accuracy of reconciliation processes.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with other Bank departments in Cayman and Bermuda, fostering effective cross-departmental collaboration.
- Assessing potential financial or regulatory risk exposure for the Bank, and communicating findings to management.
- Administering the reconciliation application, including user management, authorizations, and currency settings.
- Preparing and testing systems application documentation.
- Reviewing and updating reconciliation procedures documentation to ensure they reflect current best practices.
- Ensuring the reconciliations function maintains a minimum internal audit rating of "satisfactory."
- Researching and implementing new methods, processes, procedures, and technology to enhance reconciliation processes.
- Being prepared to work on shifts, after normal working hours, and weekends to meet the demands of the job.
- Performing any additional duties as specified under the direction of the AVP, Reconciliations.
What you'll need
- Post-Secondary Education plus 5 years relevant experience in retail or commercial banking operations or equivalent.
- Strong understanding of complex accounting procedures and the guidelines of (GAAP)
- Strong understanding of integral complex systems and associated interfaces.
- Good understanding and command of Microsoft Office Suite of products.
- Knowledge of Frontier Account Reconciliation software would be an asset.
- Demonstrated problem solving skills.
- Demonstrated management, organisational and team leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Good command of the English language both written and oral.
- Strong project management, communication and mediation skills.
- Efficient time management skills and ability to meet tight deadlines which includes working outside of normal hours and on weekends and statutory holidays.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited
To be the leading independent offshore bank and trust company
To build relationships and wealth
Approachable - Collaborative - Empowered - Impactful
Butterfield is a full-service bank and wealth manager headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda, providing services to clients from Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey, where our principal banking operations are located, and The Bahamas, Switzerland, Singapore and the United Kingdom, where we offer specialized financial services. Banking services comprise deposit, cash management and lending solutions for individual, business and institutional clients. Wealth management services are composed of trust, private banking, asset management and custody. In Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Guernsey, we offer both banking and wealth management. In The Bahamas, Singapore and Switzerland, we offer select wealth management services. In the UK, we offer residential property lending. In Jersey, we offer select banking and wealth management services. Butterfield recently established a Support Services Centre in Halifax, NS. Butterfield is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB) and the Bermuda Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB.BH).
Butterfield in Halifax
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited provides centralized, shared services and support to the Butterfield Group in the areas of Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations, Client Services, and Compliance. Our team in Halifax is expanding to meet the growing and diverse needs of our businesses globally.
With more than 1,200 financial services professionals across ten international jurisdictions, the Butterfield experience is enhanced by robust learning and development opportunities, and comprehensive benefits. We provide a respectful environment where we value the diversity of our employees and the talents and experiences they bring to work. With a 160-year tradition of service excellence we empower individuals to achieve their potential and make a positive impact on our business, our clients and our communities.
To learn more about the Butterfield Group please visit www.butterfieldgroup.com.