Position: Student Success Specialist (1 Year Contract)
Department: Student Affairs and Services
Salary: $45,000 - 55,000 + 4% in lieu vacation
Under the direction of the Senior Director, Student Affairs and Services, the Student Success Specialist promotes and coordinates campus-wide student success initiatives that emphasizes positive student experiences and develops programs that address student retention challenges at Saint Mary's University. Working in close collaboration with the Student Transitions Specialist (Student Development and Engagement) and various members of the First Year Experience Committee, the Student Success Specialist is responsible for designing, developing and facilitating various elements of first-year transition programming, including coordination the Early Alert Program and on-going program development related to mentorship programming and other initiatives to identify and engage at-risk students. The position will also seek to develop programming to identify retention challenges beyond the first year and develop programming to support increased student retention rates.
What you'll do
Duties as Student Success Specialist include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the Early Alert Program for new students as consider scalability to all students at Saint Mary's University
- Research and develop programming and supports to enhance mentoring initiatives at SMU
- In close collaboration with the Institutional Analysis Office and the First Year Experience Committee, develop success programming beyond the first year.
- Identify high risk categories of the student enrolment and develop collaborative programming to address these areas, included but not limited to, students placed on academic probation, supporting students and faculty members in courses with high rates of D/W/Fs, students who excel in the first year, and involvement advising, etc.
- Support programming to further enhance the continued growth of First Year Experience, student life, and Welcome Weeks initiatives by working collaboratively with the Student Transitions Specialist (Student Development and Engagement), SMUSA and related departments
- Provide Co-Curricular support for the on-going development of the First Year Experience Pilot Project of class teaching
- Research, develop, implement, and assess retention-based programs to increase student engagement and success
- Preparing communications regarding Welcome Week, First Year Experience and other Student Success programming to enable publication and distribution via the web and social media.
- Establishing relationships with professionals in the field and engaging actively with other post-secondary institutions and student services organizations doing related work.
- Connecting with other post-secondary institutions to develop knowledge and share best practices within peer-to-peer programs and presenting at workshops/national education conferences on peer mentoring.
- Other miscellaneous duties as required
What you'll need
To be the successful Student Success Specialist you will possess an Undergraduate Degree and a minimum of 2 to 3 years of directly related experience in student success programming, preferably at the post-secondary level. Proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively and to participate in consultative decision making. You demonstrate skills in training and program evaluation, excellent knowledge of MS Office, Access, data-informed program development, internet and e-mail applications combined with strong presentation and facilitation skills. Further, you have strong organizational and event planning skills, excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, extensive experience in supervising student staff and volunteers, and the ability to work evenings and weekends. A background in cross cultural communication will be considered an asset.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: October 1, 2019 Competition Closes: October 15, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus