Date Posted: April 6, 2023
Posting Deadline: Until filled
Department: Management, Sobey School of Business
Type of Employment: Tenure-Track Position
At Saint Mary's University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of the contribution and growth of each individual in the University's success. We are currently looking to fill the position of Steele Professorship in Entrepreneurship to join our Management - Sobey School of Business team. Teaching and research interests of the successful candidate should be in entrepreneurship, innovation, and related areas. While we welcome all applications, we are a United Nation's Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) Champion and so candidates whose research and teaching are aligned with sustainable entrepreneurship and/or sustainable innovation are preferred.
What we offer
As a team member at Saint Mary's, we are proud to offer many benefits. Some of these include:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Defined Contribution Pension plan
- Personal days
- Professional development
- Holiday closure
- Employee Transit EPass through Halifax Transit
Job Information and Responsibilities
The holder of Steele Professorship in Entrepreneurship will:
- Be responsible for undertaking teaching, research, and service activities, building bridges with leaders and innovators, and educating leaders in all aspects of entrepreneurship.
- Hold the Steele Professorship in Entrepreneurship for a term of up to five years, with the option of one renewal. The position will provide a salary stipend, research funding and ongoing research support.
We particularly encourage applicants whose teaching and research align with the Sobey School of Business mission: "The Sobey School of Business, through active learning and the creation and mobilization of scholarship, prepares citizens of the world to lead sustainable, entrepreneurial businesses and communities." For additional information about the University and the Sobey School of Business please visit our website at http://www.sobey.smu.ca.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful Steele Professorship in Entrepreneurship you will have:
- A PhD at the Senior Assistant or Junior Associate level.
- Outstanding researcher with an international reputation.
- Demonstrated teaching excellence, and strong record of successful community engagement.
Applications should consist of:
- A letter of application clearly indicating eligibility to work in Canada.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae highlighting research awards, grants, peer-reviewed publications and conference presentations, demonstrated leadership in curricula development and delivery, service to the university and professional communities, and supervision and training of graduate students and the next generation of researchers.
- A teaching dossier that includes a statement of teaching philosophy and evidence of teaching effectiveness (e.g. teaching evaluations).
- Future research plans.
- An example of a recent scholarship output (e.g. publication in peer reviewed journal, conference proceeding or working paper).
- Copy of graduate school transcripts and evidence of course work relevant to the position.
- Names and contact information of three referees.
- The application shall include materials outlined above along with the following additional materials that will be considered in the assessment of candidates:
- A list of key contributions, innovations in research, non-academic community engagement initiatives, and a statement of how the Steele Professorship advances their career (maximum two pages).
- An outline of the research plan during the award period describing (maximum two pages) that includes:
(i) Research priorities, objectives, and expected outcomes;
(ii) How the research plan is consistent with the goals of the Sobey School of Business's strategic plan;
(iii) A general statement outlining how research funds will be used (a detailed budget is not required).
These materials should be sent as one consolidated PDF via email to [email protected]. Please specify Steele Professorship in Entrepreneurship Tenure Track as well as your area of expertise in the subject line.
Consideration of applications will begin on May 17th, 2023, and continue until the position is filled. Although all applications will be acknowledged, only those that make the shortlist will be contacted.
At Saint Mary's University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact [email protected].
A little bit about us
Saint Mary's University - Faculty Employment Opportunities
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.