Reporting to the Director of Athletics, the Sports Information Officer creates print, web and video content and completes assignments related to sports information requirements. The individual contributes to the mission of the University through the development and dissemination of communications materials, co-ordination of special events, and the presentation of content for internal/external audiences. The position will liaise with the Marketing and Event Coordinator and varsity team coaches, as well as other staff.
An equal opportunity employer, St. Thomas University is committed to employment equity for women, Aboriginal peoples, members of visible minority groups, and persons with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
What you'll do
- Researches, writes and records (video) news and feature stories on Athletics.
- Develops and produces content (copy, editing, video, photo).
- Manages website content (www.gotommies.ca) and social media interfaces.
- Assists in the organization of special events and performs other duties as required.
- Manages student sports information writers, and edits and proofs their work as required.
- Frequent need to concentrate when composing copy and researching stories.
- Regular requirement to work under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Irregular work hours (evenings and weekends) and a varied work week required due to the nature of university athletics and other job responsibilities.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
What you'll need
- A university degree with a major in Journalism and/or Communications.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and proficiency in web and video software.
- Experience with and/or an understanding of varsity athletics at the university level.
- Creativity and understanding of content management.
- Ability to research, capture, organize and present information interestingly and convincingly.
- Personal initiative and the ability to organize, prioritize and complete assignments independently and by deadline.
- Understanding of the University's mission, values, and structures.
A little bit about us
St. Thomas University
St. Thomas University
St. Thomas University is an undergraduate, liberal arts institution with a full-time enrolment of 1,900. Its students graduate with Bachelor of Arts, Applied Arts, Education, and Social Work degrees. The faculty members are distinguished teachers, researchers and scholars, and the university holds two Canada Research Chairs.
St. Thomas University originated in 1910, when Basilian Fathers assumed responsibility for St. Thomas College in Chatham, New Brunswick. The college began granting degrees in 1934, was renamed St. Thomas University in 1960, and relocated to Fredericton in 1964. St. Thomas now has 109 full-time faculty, and 12 buildings, several of which have earned architectural design awards and make the campus one of the most renowned in Canada.
Unique Approach to Education
St. Thomas is the only university in Canada wholly dedicated to the study of the liberal arts. A liberal arts education provides a broad base of knowledge and specialized skills that prepare students for a limitless list of careers or post-degree programs. Students gain a unique perspective from more than 30 academic disciplines as they choose from courses in the humanities, social sciences, fine arts, sciences, and interdisciplinary fields. According to the National Survey of Student Engagement (2014), STU students rate faculty significantly higher than do their Maritime or Canadian counterparts while 91% rate their first-year experience as excellent or good and 91% would attend STU again.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Hours of work: Part-time (28 hours per week)
Term: Sessional (Mid-August to end of March annually)
Union/Exempt: STUSAU Local 60701
Classification/Level: Category A, Level 4,
Annual Salary Range: $35,006 - $48,257 (pro-rated to part-time hours and total weeks worked)
The closing date for receipt of applications is March 26, 2019 All applications are to be received by 4:30 p.m. on the closing date. Candidates are responsible for clearly demonstrating in their cover letters how they meet the requirements of the position. Please forward your cover letter, resume, and the names of three references, quoting competition number SIO0313-CB, by clicking the Apply Now button. Please note that the selection process may include testing related to the advertised requirements. Candidates will be advised of any testing prior to the interview. Each applicant is asked to provide his/her contact information (preferably an email address) as it is normal practice for all applicants to be contacted when the hiring process is complete.