Position: Service Learning Program Assistant (Contract ending February 5, 2020)
Department: Student Affairs and Services
Annual Salary: $31,000 - $35,000 + 4% in lieu of vacation
Under the supervision of the Service Learning Placement Coordinator (SLPC), Student Affairs and Services, the Service Learning Program Assistant provides support to the SLPC, Student Affairs and Services, in assisting the progressive implementation of Service and Co-Curricular learning at Saint Mary's University and to other areas in Student Affairs and Services as required. The position supports the SLPC in advancing usage of Service Learning within academic programming at Saint Mary's.
What you'll do
Duties as the Service Learning Program Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Answering the telephone and organizing meetings, which includes booking meeting rooms, IT/AV coordination, and catering.
- Responding to inquiries and liaising with students, staff, faculty, and community partners and referring them appropriately.
- Assisting the SLPC in liaising with faculty, community partners, and students.
- Supporting the SLPC and Co-Curricular Record (CCR Office) with maintaining files and file systems, both manually and electronically.
- Greeting visitors of the department in a welcoming manner and ensuring that they are comfortable.
- Referring students to on-campus services as required.
- Typing documents and proofreading all documents for accuracy, grammar, and punctuation.
- Supporting the development and maintenance of databases on a daily basis; keeping filing systems current; running reports as necessary; and maintaining confidential files regarding personal information, community partnership information, waivers, and student agreements.
- Drafting correspondence, memos, and letters for signature, as well as photocopying, scanning, and distributing materials when required.
- Picking up and delivering mail on a rotational basis with other Student Affairs and Services secretaries.
- Assisting with designing and distributing brochures, flyers, promotional, and educational material for SLPC and CCR Office.
- Arranging for service on office equipment as required.
- Ordering/maintaining office supplies and materials for the SLPC and CCR Office and maintaining the storage area.
- Creating agendas along with attending and taking minutes for relevant committees as required.
- Supporting with collecting, organizing, and storing research regarding Service Learning and CCR.
- Supporting the SLPC in ensuring the processes for safety and risk assessment/management practices are followed, including the collection and storage of required checklists, waivers and/or informed consent forms, and ensuring electronic copies are provided to the appropriate departments.
- Updating the main Service Learning website listing current events and opportunities.
- Supporting the development and implementation of presentations/orientations/workshops for faculty, staff, students, and community partners on the processes of Service Learning and CCR at Saint Mary's.
- Assisting in the development, implementation, and tracking of evaluations of the Service Learning and CCR programs at Saint Mary's from students, faculty, and community partner perspectives.
- Obtaining information from Saint Mary's online registration system, BANNER, when necessary.
- Assisting in engaging with, and presenting at, professional conferences related to Service Learning.
- Providing basic administrative support in a back-up role for other departments in Student Affairs and Services as required and as assigned by the Senior Director, Student Affairs and Services.
What you'll need
To be the successful Service Learning Program Assistant you will possess a post-secondary degree/diploma with a minimum of one (1) year related experience. Experience with service learning, volunteerism, and/or community development and experience working in a university environment will be considered assets. You have demonstrated experience working with databases and are proficient with Microsoft Software packages, including Microsoft Office Suite. You further demonstrate strong organizational skills and the ability to function independently and as part of a team; are detail oriented; have strong interpersonal, communication and listening skills; and are able to work under pressure and handle multiple priorities in an environment with regular interruptions. Experience with BANNER, Brightspace, website maintenance, ORBIS, Adobe software, and/or Microsoft Publisher will further be considered assets.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on September 24, 2018 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Advancement Information Integrity Specialist (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Security Officer (NSGEU Local 170)
Halifax, NS, CA
Two - Eight-Month Limited-Term Appointments - Dept. of Management
Halifax, NS, CA
Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Classics
Halifax, NS, CA