Position: Service Learning Placement Coordinator (1 Year Maternity Leave Contract until March 2021)
Department: Student Affairs & Services
Salary: $55,000 - $65,000 per annum + 4% in lieu of vacation
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Career and Experiential Learning, the Service Learning Placement Coordinator builds relationships with faculty, staff, and community partners, and provides administrative and logistical support to develop, coordinate, implement, and grow course-based service learning across faculties at Saint Mary's University. The positon provides a centralized and organized process for supporting students to be successful in their service learning experience.
What you'll do
Duties as the Service Learning Placement Coordinator include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborates with the faculty members to identify potential service activities that will connect to course content and liaises with community partners to connect to faculty members engaging in SL within their course(s).
- Identifies and connects community-identified needs/priorities with potential faculty/courses and learning outcomes.
- Maintains various databases related to the SL program, including: SL courses, Community Partners, active SL students, current and past SL opportunities, organizational requirements, etc.
- Provides background and informative material on SL to assist faculty in developing SL within their course(s).
- Oversees the verification of SL student hours and/or project deliverables in collaboration with faculty members teaching each course. Oversee on-going integration and coordination with Career 360 Platform for coordination of Service Learning activities.
- Collects and storing required forms (e.g.: Waivers, Student Agreements, Completion Forms, etc.) and ensures that the privacy and confidentiality of these documents is upheld.
- Collaborates to develop opportunities to bring more Community Partners to our campus (e.g. orientations, student presentations, workshops, recognition events, etc.) in efforts to forge stronger Faculty-Community Partner relationships.
- Determines any required preparatory measures for students engaging with their community partner organization and facilitates a process to complete them (e.g. Criminal Record Checks, Child Abuse Registry, Application Forms, Interviews, Required Immunizations, etc.).
- Plans and facilitates preparation sessions at the beginning of the term that communicate important SL information, reinforce Saint Mary's University policies and procedures for off-campus activities, and orient students to their Community Partner. Coordinates orientation/training sessions for community partners on campus to allow for community organizations to interact with students, as requested
- Coordinates reviews of SL Placement environments in consultation with Community Partners and collaborates with Saint Mary's University HR Officer (Occupational Health & Safety and Wellness) and the Science Safety Advisor to conduct thorough risk assessments and develops risk management strategies to ensure the safety of students.
- Collaborates with Community Partners to identify and connect community identified needs/priorities with potential faculty/courses and learning outcomes. Maintains a database of SL courses, Community Partners, active SL students, current and past opportunities, organizational requirements, etc.
- Fosters and maintains relationships with Community partner's by developing opportunities for their recognition.
- Collects, analyzes and develops summative reports on evaluative feedback from students, Community Partners, and faculty and uses the information to inform program development and improvement.
- Leads a formative evaluation by leading as a focal point of contact for Community Partners, faculty, and students throughout the SL experience regarding any questions, issues, or concerns.
- Daily supervision of the casual and student staff. Prioritizes and assigns administrative tasks, work projects, timelines, and other duties that advance the development, implementation, and assessment of SL experiences.
- Collaborates to create professional development opportunities for faculty members (e.g. Guest speakers, lunch and learns, Community Partners, etc.).
- Researches and attends professional development opportunities to stay-up-to-date within the field and develops best practices.
- Works with faculty and Community Partners to develop research, presentation and publication opportunities on Service Learning to raise both program and university profile.
- Other additional duties as assigned.
What you'll need
To be the successful Service Learning Placement Coordinator you will possess a Master's degree with a minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of directly related experience. You will also have demonstrated experience working in a post-secondary setting, preferably in experiential learning related activities. Strong organizational skills, oral and written communication skills; and strong interpersonal and customer service skills are all required in this position. The successful candidate must have demonstrated experience in managing multiple and competing tasks and priorities, as well as demonstrated presentation skills and demonstrated experience in assessment and evaluation of programs. Ability to take initiative, function and think independently and as part of a team and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite will round out your candidacy for this position. Web site maintenance and social media experience will be considered an asset. The successful candidate will be required to work evenings and weekends on a semi-regular basis, as required.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: February 5, 2020 Competition Closes: February 19, 2020
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Offensive Coordinator– Football (Contract until Dec 31, 2022)
Halifax, NS, CA
Library Assistant IV (NSGEU Local 79) (Permanent)
Halifax, NS, CA
Admissions Records Clerk (NSGEU Local 79) (9 Month Temporary Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
General Worker, Lead Hand (Temporary, Full Time) (NSGEU Local 170) (3 positions)
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA