Position: Service Desk Consultant
Department: Technology Services
Position Type: AUPAT 4, Full-time, Permanent
Date Posted: Janaury 24, 2024
Application Deadline: February 14, 2024 at 11:59pm
Competition #: 24-03-AU
Salary: To be commensurate with qualifications and experience in the range of $46,433 - $56,081 per annum.
Benefits: Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plan, health spending account, life insurance, optional life insurance, AD&D insurance, long-term disability insurance, employee and family assistance program, tuition discount for employees and their dependents, free gym facility membership, 3 weeks' vacation increasing with years of service, university paid holidays including winter break closure.
What you'll do
Join us in our Department of Technology Services where our values include creative thinking, team participation, problem solving, and sharing knowledge. We offer a fun and collaborative environment where you will work with modern systems and use your knowledge and expertise in technology support to have an immediate impact on our campus community. We believe in one another's potential and success, and if there are skills that you need to strengthen, we will help you achieve them. We understand that everyone brings unique experiences, perspectives, and ideas to create a vibrant work environment.
Acadia seeks a Service Desk Consultant in our Technology Services Department to provide technical support and assistance to all members of the university community. The Service Desk Consultant will deliver expert support on Windows, Mac, mobile device software, hardware, cybersecurity, and networking. Typical tasks include:
- effective processing of technology service requests
- respond to cyber-attacks and compromised accounts
- resolve complex software problems
- support multiple operating systems
- support a wide variety of software applications
- preliminary diagnosis of hardware problems
- provide support for campus smartphones
- support multi-function printing
- troubleshoot classroom technology problems
- provide in-class support for online exams
- configure and support laptops and desktops for network connectivity
- assist with diagnosis of network problems
- repair systems affected by malware and viruses
- research and test new software and hardware
- assist hardware technicians in laptop preparation, deployment, and repair
- identify, isolate, and communicate problems from, and to, all levels of internal service partners
- assist in supervision of student consultants and support management with their training and scheduling
What you'll need
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or an equivalent combination of education and work experience will be considered.
- It is preferred that candidates possess Certification in A+, N+, M365, Microsoft Windows, MacOS, and have software deployment skills and experience.
- Expertise in a number of operating systems and software applications, along with excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in communicating with clients is also necessary. This requires initiative, patience, and the ability to respond quickly with appropriate solutions to unexpected situations.
- Must be a team player, with demonstrated commitment to service excellence.
- Ability to make recommendations to users and explain solutions in non-technical terms.
- Must be available to work between the hours of 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, plus occasional overtime as required.
For further information or to request a detailed job description, please contact Keilani Tupper at [email protected].
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Acadia University, located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq nation, is one of Canada's leading primarily undergraduate institutions. For over 180 years, Acadia has been providing students with a learning environment that ensures they have every opportunity to succeed in life. Our graduates emerge with the tools required to be global citizens and community leaders. Acadia's faculty and staff are key to our institutional success and share a commitment to provide our students with a high quality post-secondary education. As a staff member, you will be part of this transformational educational experience where innovation is encouraged, and your ideas are welcomed.
Acadia University is located only one hour from the city of Halifax in Nova Scotia's beautiful Annapolis Valley in the Town of Wolfville. Wolfville offers residents an affordable lifestyle, outstanding recreational opportunities, internationally acclaimed restaurants, a healthy economy, and the best weather in the Atlantic provinces. The Town of Wolfville is one of the fastest-growing communities in Nova Scotia where people find the perfect mix of small-town livability and urban energy. It's a place that people love to live, and those who do not live here love to visit.
To see more information on why Acadia is an employer of choice, please visit our website at www.hr.acadiau.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
TO APPLY: To apply for this opportunity, click on the "Apply Now" button and upload your cover letter, resume, and references.
Please be advised that only those invited for an interview will be contacted. The University reserves the right not to fill this position. A six-month eligibility list may be established from this competition to fill future vacancies for identical positions.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Acadia University is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from Aboriginal people, African Nova Scotians, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women, and persons of any minority sexual orientation or gender identity. Consistent with the principles of employment equity, the primary criterion for appointment to a position is qualifications and professional excellence. Candidates who identify as a member of one of the afore-mentioned groups, and who wish to have the application considered as such, are invited to submit the online Employment Equity Voluntary Self-Identification Form as part of their application package.
The university will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that supports an applicant's accessibility needs. If you require accommodation because of a disability or for any other reason during the interview process, please contact [email protected].