Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Full-time, Permanent
Union Status: Excluded (Non-union)
Competition # COR 23070
Closing Date: Open until filled
About Our Opportunity
Reporting to the Manager, Building Design, the Senior Architect provides architectural, technical, and design expertise while ensuring the successful completion of assigned building projects. Your work will include managing projects from initiation and developing building programs through the phases of schematic, design development, tender construction document, construction administration, and finally to completion of construction and occupancy.
What you'll do
You will act as a Design Project Manager on projects. We count on your expertise to:
• Design safe, cost effective and efficient building layouts for the construction of new building additions and renovations of existing structures.
• Coordinate and manage activities of internal/external technical personnel, contractors, consultants, housing agency staff and service providers on various projects.
• Complete project designs on time and within budgets
• Lead your project team of professionals in resolving issues and removing roadblocks.
• Identify, analyze and mitigate project risks
• Ensure safety is of top priority and work is carried out in accordance with the OHS Act and Regulations, building codes, as well as Department standards and polices.
• Provide a smooth transition to end users
What you'll need
• Bachelor's degree in a related field (Architecture or Environmental Design) plus eight (8) years related experience.
• Experience leading and motivating a project team while inspiring confidence and creativity.
• Active member of the Nova Scotia Association of Architects (NSAA) or meet the requirements to register.
• Strong technical background and firm understanding of the construction industry and engineering principles.
• Good business sense and effective risk management
• Ability to identify energy efficient architectural design solutions whenever possible to reduce consumption and running cost of buildings.
• Excellent professionalism and judgement
• Experience working with departmental management/stakeholders and providing feedback and negotiating changes to contracts or agreements.
• Demonstrates initiative in resolving problems while maintaining commitment to schedule, budget and enforcement of policies.
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver's abstract, and confirmation of education credentials.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians.
We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that's right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners.
Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia's housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification: PR 18
Salary Range: $82,059.05-96,504.00
Work Week: 35 hours
We are committed to employing staff who are representative of the diverse community we serve. If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Our preferred method of applying is through Career Beacon.
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.