Position: Secretary IV (NSGEU Local 79)
Department: Faculty of Arts: Modern Languages & Classics, Political Science & Asian Studies
Annual Salary: $37,797 - $44,769 (Group 6)
The Secretary IV for the Department of Modern Languages and Classics, Political Science as well as the Asian Studies Program reports to the Dean of Arts through the Deans' designate to the Dean and works under the direct supervision of the Chairpersons of Modern Languages and Classics, Political Science and the Coordinator of the Asian Studies Program. The Secretary IV is the first point of contact to respond to basic enquiries from students, faculty, University staff and the external community, and provides appropriate referrals for complex inquiries. The Secretary IV is a resource and point of liaison in the Departments of Modern Languages and Political Science, for the Asian Studies Program, and other units within the University.
What you'll do
Duties as the Secretary IV include, but are not limited to:
- Scheduling appointments and setting up meetings, as well as attending meetings and preparing minutes.
- Creating and maintaining filing systems and databases; organizing electronic and paper files and filing systems, and ensuring backup and protection of material (e.g. meeting minutes, department policies, etc.).
- In conjunction with the appropriate individuals, organizing and coordinating visiting guest's accommodations, preparing itinerary and producing and distributing advertising flyers/bulletins of events.
- Accessing BANNER and related online services for student information (class lists, etc.) and other reports relevant to Departmental and Program operations.
- Assisting the Chairpersons and the Coordinator with the scheduling of course offerings.
- Collecting teaching-related information from full and part-time faculty and reports, as required.
- Supporting the Chairs/Coordinator and their designates in carrying out their responsibilities as outlined in the SMUFU Collective Agreement (e.g. booking meetings, maintaining and preparing files used for student advising, curriculum management, budget management, appointments along with related files, etc.).
- Providing support for the hiring and annual review of new full-time faculty.
- Providing support for the tenure and promotion files of faculty.
- Providing support to the Chairs/Coordinator for the hiring of part-time instructors (posting with CUPE, handling applications, preparing contract recommendations, compiling submissions for Dean's office, organizing 3 year reviews).
- Drafting memos and letters for the signature of the Chairpersons and Coordinator and other department members as well as composing and sending routine correspondence under own signature.
- Proofreading Department and Program memos, letters, and similar communications in English and French.
- Assisting in procurement needs of faculty and reconciling departmental purchases on "p-card".
- Coordinating and scheduling travel, accommodations and interview schedules for candidates being interviewed for faculty positions as well as preparing and distributing candidate information packages.
- Helping to prepare expense reports and other financial forms, when necessary and where possible.
- Completing and submitting student/casual payroll forms and employment contracts (both TA and research support).
- Processing all departmental payables including cheque requisitions, budget transfers and expense reports.
- Maintaining Departmental/Program websites and assisting in the development/updating of information.
- Moderating and maintaining listservs.
- Preparing, distributing and posting advertisements/posters for special events and handling publicity arrangements.
- Assisting Chairs/Coordinator and faculty members in the production and distribution of handbooks and other resource materials for faculty and students.
- Liaising with the University community, publishers, sales representatives, other educational institutions and external organizations when necessary and appropriate.
- Providing information in English and French.
- Providing basic services (e.g. mail, reception, etc.) in a backup support role for other Departments/Programs in the Faculty of Arts as required because of vacation, illness, leaves, or other contingencies.
What you'll need
To be the successful Secretary IV you will possess a one (1) year office administration/business/secretarial Community College course and a minimum of one (1) year of recent and related experience. Bilingual (English/French) oral and written comprehension is required. You will demonstrate working knowledge of several software packages including Microsoft Suite; the ability to handle and maintain confidential material; along with strong organizational skills and the ability to function independently and as part of a team. Strong communication and listening skills and the ability to work under pressure and tight timelines will round out your success in this position. Experience working in a university environment, facility in a third language in addition to English and French, and experience with website editing and management will all be considered assets.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: January 3, 2019 Competition Closes: January 14, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Advancement Information Integrity Specialist (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Security Officer (NSGEU Local 170)
Halifax, NS, CA
Two - Eight-Month Limited-Term Appointments - Dept. of Management
Halifax, NS, CA
Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Classics
Halifax, NS, CA