Position: Secretary IV (NSGEU Local 79)
Department: Global Commons Studio for Teaching and Learning
Annual Salary: $37,797 - $44,769 (Group 6)
Under the supervision of the Administrative Assistant, the Secretary IV will focus on customer service, administrative support to the Director of Educational Development and Technologies and to Global Learning and Intercultural Support, support for Studio events and activities, financial administration for the Studio, data collection and report preparation, operational support for the Studio, and program support for extended earning, digital education and intercultural programs. The Secretary IV provides operational and financial administrative support to the Director and other Studio staff, and provides appropriate referrals for complex inquiries.
What you'll do
Duties as the Secretary IV include, but are not limited to:
- Acts as first point of contact for Educational Development and Technologies team, and welcomes students, staff and faculty. Finds appropriate person to assist callers and visitors and ensures they find appropriate assistance. Responding to programming inquiries via phone, face to face and email.
- Acting as backup for the Secretary IV, Academic Learning Services and other members of the Studio administrative team.
- Setting up and maintaining electronic and paper files for the Director, and for events and programs hosted through Educational Development and Technologies and Global Learning and Intercultural Support.
- Creating and maintaining ongoing list of "in progress" files/projects and tracking for completion.
- Reviewing correspondence for distribution or approval and signature, checking documents for completeness and accuracy.
- Preparing, updating, processing and maintaining documents and records for Director. Determining retention and purging schedules. Retrieving files and documents as needed.
- Assisting with classroom and meeting room setup and tear down for events and programs.
- Preparing correspondence regarding programming, including pre and post event information for both participants and facilitators.
- Preparing, distributing, tracking and files contracts for facilitators, guest speakers and visiting lecturers.
- Preparing and maintaining a list of names and contact information for each event participant.
- Consulting and resolving routine problems with instructors related to location, materials, schedules and locations, requirements, university policies and correspondence needs.
- Booking classrooms, coordinating printing and distribution of workshop materials.
- Working in the Learning Management System (LMS) as required.
- Preparing expense reports, preparing and submitting payroll forms for casual employees and forms for financial transactions related to programing, and tracks and monitors budget lines. Preparing and remitting monthly VISA reconciliations.
- Providing supports in preparing annual budget submission.
- Maintaining calendar and scheduling appointments and meetings for the Director. Coordinating and scheduling various committee and working group meetings.
- Creating and maintaining filing systems and databases.
- Attending meetings and recording minutes for the Director.
- Utilizing software for organizing activities for event planning and programming
- Collecting data for general information purposes or special reports and contacting relevant individuals for additional data or material, if required.
- Setting up and maintaining electronic files related to participant enrolment with weekly updates from the time registration opens to the last day for registration.
- Collecting and generating data and information reports related to the Studio and community programs and events.
What you'll need
To be the successful Secretary IV you will possess a one (1) year community college administrative or business diploma or equivalent and a minimum one (1) year of directly related experience in a cross-cultural working environment. You will demonstrate strong organizational skills and ability to function independently and as part of a team. Strong communication and listening skills along with proficiency with the MS Office Suite. Working in a university environment or comparable setting would be considered an asset.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: September 27, 2019 Competition Closes: October 7, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus.