Position: Secretary IV (NSGEU Local 79)
Department: Dean of Arts Office and Department of Social Justice and Community Studies
Annual Salary: $37,797 - $44,769 (Group 6)
The Secretary IV for the Dean of Arts and the Department of Social Justice and Community Studies works as a staff member of the Faculty of Arts Administrative Support Team. The Secretary IV reports to the Dean of Arts through the Dean's designate and works under the direct supervision of the Chairperson of the Department of Social Justice and Community Studies and the Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Arts. The Secretary IV is the first point of contact to respond to basic enquiries from students, faculty, University staff and the external community, and provides appropriate referrals for complex inquiries. The Secretary IV provides secretarial and administrative support to full and part-time faculty, and other personnel with links to the department and to the Dean of Arts Office.
What you'll do
Duties as the Secretary IV include, but are not limited to:
- Answering the telephone and greeting visitors. Responding to a range of inquiries from diverse callers, or referring to appropriate departments or individuals.
- Organizing committee meetings for Social Justice and Community Studies and the Dean of Arts office.
- Organizing faculty meetings, lectures, seminars, receptions and other special events, including catering, agenda, notices, etc.
- Providing support for conference and community event organization hosted by Social Justice and Community Studies and the Office of the Dean of Arts.
- Attending meetings and taking minutes for Social Justice and Community Studies, the Associate Dean of Arts (Curriculum and Student Affairs) and the Dean of Arts, as required.
- Handling logistical arrangements for visiting scholars/speakers to Social Justice and Community Studies.
- Providing support for the hiring of part-time instructors (posting advertisements with CUPE, handling and organizing applications, preparing contract recommendations, organizing three (3) year reviews).
- Providing support for the hiring and annual review of new full-time faculty; providing support for the tenure and promotion files of faculty.
- Assisting the Social Justice and Community Studies Chairperson with creation of the annual timetable of course offerings.
- Providing administrative support for specified projects for the Office of the Dean of Arts, as required.
- Providing assistance to faculty, instructors, visiting professors and students in the Social Justice and Community Studies Department and the Faculty of Arts, as required.
- Responsible for mail/correspondence, including collecting, sorting and distributing the incoming mail and correspondence. Processing outgoing mail, and courier packages. Maintaining manual and electronic files; maintaining database files, providing photocopying, scanning and faxing of documents.
- Assisting the Social Justice and Community Studies Chairperson to prepare annual budget forms through VENA; monitoring budget expenditures, preparing budget transfers.
- Preparing memos, letters of invitation, and minutes of meetings for Social Justice and Community Studies and the Office of the Dean of Arts.
- As required, providing clerical assistance to the Administrative Assistant to the Dean of Arts, Departmental offices and Interdisciplinary Programs in the Faculty of Arts.
- Preparing expense reimbursement for visiting speakers/scholars/faculty recruits/faculty and maintaining expense reimbursement reporting system for Social Justice and Community Studies Department.
- Preparing cheque requisitions and monthly Visa reconciliation; coding invoices and forwarding for payment.
- Maintaining, monitoring and ordering office supplies; tracking departmental budget lines.
- Drafting, compiling, printing and distributing handbooks and other resource materials for the faculty and students.
- Liaising with the Faculty Communications Officer and community members to handle publicity arrangements and creating various publicity material for the Department, e.g. posters, newsletters, advertisements for special events including community engaged events and initiatives, media releases.
- Moderating listserves and maintaining and updating website. Creating and maintaining bulletin board display
- Providing basic services (e.g. mail, reception, etc.) in a backup support role for other Departments/Programs in the Faculty of Arts as required because of vacation, illness, leaves, or other contingencies.
What you'll need
To be the successful Secretary IV you will possess High School plus one (1) year Community College business course and a minimum of one (1) year of recent and related experience. You will demonstrate working knowledge of several software packages including Microsoft Suite; the ability to handle and maintain confidential material; along with strong organizational skills and the ability to function independently and as part of a team. Strong communication and listening skills and the ability to work under pressure and tight timelines will round out your success in this position. Experience working in a university environment and experience with website editing will be considered assets.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: May 13, 2019 Competition Closes: May 18, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's Univeristy promoties a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Tenure Track Position in Finance - Derivatives and Risk Management
Halifax, NS, CA
Tenure Track Position in Finance - Financial Theory and Asset Pricing or Fixed Income Securities
Halifax, NS, CA
Web Developer (1 Year Contract) (NSGEU Local 79)
Halifax, NS, CA
Residence Coordinator (Part-Time Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Assistant to the Vice President, Advancement (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA