Date Posted: November 14, 2022
Posting Deadline: November 28, 2022
Department: Department of Geology
Type of Employment: Permanent, Full-time
Group Affiliation: Bargaining Unit 79, Group 6 ($40,116 - $47,516 annually)
At Saint Mary's University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of the contribution and growth of each individual in the University's success. We are currently looking to fill the position of Secretary IV to join our Department of Geology team.
What we offer
As a team member at Saint Mary's, we are proud to offer many benefits. Some of these include:
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive benefits package
- Defined Contribution Pension plan
- Flexible Workplace
- Holiday closure
- Summer hour schedule
Job Information and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Chairperson, Department of Geology, the Secretary IV will:
- Provide secretarial and administrative support to the Chairperson and other members of the Department of Geology including full and part-time faculty, technicians, graduate students, and other research personnel with links to the departmental activities and the Regional Analytical Facility.
- Create and maintains department filing systems; organizes electronic and paper files and filing systems, and ensures backup and protection of material (e.g., meeting minutes, department policies, etc.).
- Arrange room bookings, catering and other related needs associated with Department/Program including hosting visitors, meetings, and conferences.
- Orient new faculty, staff, and graduate and honours students to ensure they have appropriate computer access, keys, phones, printers, etc., as appropriate for the position.
- Maintain Department website. Assists in the development and updating of information for the website.
- Prepare expense reports (subject to TRI-council and/or SMU guidelines) as requested, prepares cheque requisitions, timesheets, and other payroll forms, as requested.
The Collective Agreement can be viewed here.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful Secretary IV you will have:
- Completion of High School, plus a one-year Community College business course
- A minimum of one-year related experience
- Ability to handle and maintain confidential material
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite, MS Outlook and Adobe Professional, Email listserves
- Ability to operate a photocopier and fax machine
- Strong organizational skills
- Good customer service skills
- Ability to function independently and as part of team
- Strong communicating, listening and writing skills
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Proficiency with numbers is an asset e.g. completing financial service forms like expense reports
- Working in a university environment considered an asset
- Website maintenance experience an asset
Apply for this opportunity online using our online application system through Career Beacon. Click on "Apply Now" and complete all required information fields. Qualified candidates should submit the following with their application:
- Cover Letter
- Three Professional References
Late applications may not receive consideration. We appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
At Saint Mary's University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community. Applicants are encouraged to self-identify. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Talent Acquisition at [email protected].
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.