Position: Secretary II (NSGEU Local 79)
Annual Salary: $33,283 - $38,202 (Group 4)
Under the supervision of the Director of Philanthropy in the Office of Advancement, the Secretary II position will provide front line receptionist and confidential secretarial support to the Directors of Development and Principal Gifts. The Secretary II position will also undertake general administrative and receptionist responsibilities for all employees of Development.
What you'll do
Duties as the Secretary II include, but are not limited to:
- Providing clerical support for the department, including typing correspondence and reports; photocopying, scanning, and arranging for courier services; ordering office supplies.
- Setting up and maintaining electronic and paper files.
- Maintaining and distributing the Advancement telephone directory; gathers and maintains contact lists.
- Processing incoming and outgoing mail including couriers; posts general notices on office information board.
- Arranging meetings and appointments as directed by senior staff and scheduling meetings for the Development Office team as required.
- Contacting donors and volunteers including the scheduling of meetings and making necessary logistic arrangements.
- Assisting in the preparation and assembly of documents for donor and other departmental meetings.
- Accepting and preparing donations for processing by Advancement Services.
- Making travel arrangements as directed by senior staff.
- Interacting with all donors and potential donors, assisting or directing as necessary.
- Providing general reception and acting as the first point of contact for the department including greeting internal/external office visitors; answering calls; taking messages and/or providing requested information.
- Sending out requested information, either electronically or by regular mail.
- Preparing mailing lists for all projects/special events and coordinating special mailings.
- Assisting with production and distribution of correspondence relevant to ongoing projects/events.
- Assisting with all planning and coordination of special events.
- Responsible for the reconciliation of the monthly P-card transactions.
- Preparing cheque requisitions, purchase requisitions, payment requests, budget transfer requests, and other financial documents as required and in a timely manner and ensuring approvals are received.
- Advising appropriate staff of correspondence received from alumni, donors and friends regarding changes of address and/or contact information.
- Assisting in the maintenance of the department website content by entering content provided by others.
- Assisting in the preparation of letters and annual reports to donors, including stewardship reports, and endowment, trust, and annually donated awards reports.
- Setting up and maintaining spreadsheets of Top Prospects; donors who sponsor student awards, endowments and trusts; event lists; and Moves Management documents.
- Collecting information from donor meetings and entering call reports into Banner Advancement.
- Proofreading documents to ensure correct spelling and grammar and making recommendations regarding general readability of written funding proposals and assisting with the editing of proposals.
- Other duties as required
What you'll need
To be the successful Secretary II you will possess a one (1) year community college administrative or business diploma or equivalent and a minimum one (1) year of directly related experience. You will demonstrate excellent organizational skills, oral/written communication skills and interpersonal skills along with proficiency with the MS Office Suite of products including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, and mail merge function. The ability to work in a fast-paced, team oriented environment and strong customer service skills will round out your success in this position. Knowledge of Banner will be considered an asset.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: August 9, 2018 Competition Closes: August 19, 2018
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus.
Project Manager (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Support - Graduate Career Services (Casual Position)
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
Manager, Projects & Facility Planning (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
Executive Assistant to the President (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA