Saint Mary's University requires qualified applicants to assume the role of Residence Coordinator (RC) within the Department of Residence Life, Student Services beginning August 15, 2018.
Residence Life is looking for caring, dedicated, and enthusiastic people to join our team. Reporting to the Assistant Director, Residence Life, the Residence Coordinator (RC) works together with the Programming & Engagement Coordinator, two other Residence Coordinators, up to fifty Residence Assistants (RAs), and two Programming Assistants, to annually create an inclusive, engaged and diverse residence community through purposeful social & educational programming initiatives and leadership development grounded in student development theory. We are seeking innovative and energetic people willing to demonstrate initiative, and take responsibility for engaging and impacting the lives of residence students. Additionally, we are seeking people who understand the important role residences play in supporting the academic success of students.
Residence Coordinators also work in cooperation with other administrative departments on campus including Housing & Conference Services, Residence Services, Facilities Management, and University Security, as well as all other areas within Student Services.
What you'll do
- Assist with the recruitment, selection, training, supervision, discipline and support of a team of fifty (50) student staff - Residence Assistants (RAs).
- Lead, mentor and support the RAs in their respective residence (one of three buildings). This includes facilitating weekly meetings on Monday evenings.
- Attend weekly RC staff meetings to discuss departmental objectives, recent incidents, on-going issues, staff and student concerns, up-coming events and policy development.
- Provide support, advice, informal counseling, and referral to residence students experiencing residence living difficulties, behavior issues, personal conflicts or administrative concerns.
- Participate in a rotating on-call schedule, and respond to emergency situations, crisis, and disciplinary situations.
- Assist with the administration of incident response, by reviewing confidential incident reports, providing follow-up as necessary, and completing appropriate documentation and data entry.
- Educate students, and enforce residence policies and procedures, as well as University rules and regulations.
- Coordinate and facilitate need-based programs & training sessions.
- Conduct weekly rounds of their assigned residence.
- Conduct weekly office hours (evenings) in the Residence Life Office to meet and respond to the needs of RAs and residence students.
- Other associated administrative duties, as required.
What you'll need
- The successful candidate will have a University degree - preferably in social sciences, psychology, or education
- Possess a good understanding of student learning and student development theories
- Demonstrate excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Demonstrate the ability to relate effectively with a university-aged population, which includes a vibrant and diverse mix of domestic and international students
- Demonstrate initiative, a capacity for creative problem solving, and sound judgment in addressing multi-faceted and constantly evolving challenges
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, and the ability to follow-through on assigned tasks is essential
- Proficiency with Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and Outlook e-mail. A willingness and ability to learn new software programs is required
- Experience living and working in a residence environment will be considered a significant asset
- This position will be attractive to candidates with a flexible work schedule or graduate students studying part-time
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
This is a part-time, live-in position and each Residence Coordinator (RC) is required to work fifteen (15) hours of active work per week during the evening / weekend (though some day-time hours may be required). RCs are further required to participate in a rotational on-call schedule (cellphone provided) with two other RCs, to provide support on evenings/overnight and twenty-four hours a day on weekends, during one week out of every three.
In lieu of salary, remuneration for this position is a rent-free apartment on campus valued at $985.00/month (with free underground parking as well as utilities such as local telephone service, cable, internet, heat, lights, and water, included), as a taxable benefit, as well as an honorarium of $5,000.00 per annum.
This is a contract position starting on August 15, 2018 and ending May 15, 2019, with the possibility of annual renewal at the mutual agreement of the University and the incumbent.
Apply using our online application system through CareerBeacon by clicking the "Apply Now" button. Applicants should submit their resume and cover letter, with names and addresses of three references.
The deadline for applications is July 12, 2018.