Closing Date: November 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM
CANADIAN INSTITUTE FOR CYBERSECURITY (CIC)
CIC plays a significant role in making New Brunswick a hub for cybersecurity-related activities in Canada for training, research and development, and entrepreneurial activities. CIC has over 90 researchers and graduate students working on different cybersecurity training and research programs and will continue to grow.
WHAT WE OFFER
Full-time | 3-Year term | Fredericton | Hybrid
UNB is committed to ensuring employees can maintain a healthy work-life balance. As such, we are proud to support a hybrid work approach, which includes flexible hours and work-from-home options.
Standard Work Hours: Mon - Fri | 8:15 am - 4:30 pm | 36.25 hours per week
Salary Range: $62,317 - $81,011 per annum
Reporting to the Director, the Research Scientist initiates, designs, leads, and contributes to large-scale research and/or evaluation projects across a range of areas relevant to CIC's mandate. The Research Scientist provides senior leadership within the unit and shares in the responsibility of ensuring CIC's long-term sustainability.
- Manage a team, or teams, of researchers and technical and administrative staff.
- Design and lead large-scale research and development projects, evaluations, and related initiatives.
- Lead, oversee, and direct the work teams of research, development, and/or evaluation staff on specific projects.
- Provide leadership and direction to research projects and initiatives that are led or supported by CIC staff.
- Oversee and lead the creation of projects' technical reports, research reports, and scientific manuscripts for academic publication.
- Participate and lead in the planning, development, and implementation of new R&D and training initiatives.
- Lead the design, interpretation, evaluation, output, and communication of project results with project team members, industry partners, and other private and public sector stakeholders verbally and in writing.
- Provide mentorship and supervision to research assistants, technical staff, and other junior colleagues, including co-op and graduate students and postdoctoral fellows.
- Contribute substantially to the development and production of the CIC's strategic plan and the wider goal of long-term financial sustainability.
- Develop research and training collaborations with faculty members at UNB and other universities, as well as other private and public sector partners and organizations.
- Secure competitive funding to help sustain the ongoing operation of CIC.
- Build effective relationships and partnerships within and outside the organization, in particular with private sector industry and federal and provincial government departments.
- Manage complex, multi-faceted projects with multiple internal/external stakeholders.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Ph.D. in computer science, information technology, software engineering or a similar discipline.
- 2 years experience of relevant experience in industry or a research environment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Demonstrated record of scholarly achievement such as peer-reviewed publications, conference proceedings, and invited presentations of scholarly work.
- Experience designing and implementing complex, multi-year applied research programs.
- Experience writing and submitting applications for funding.
- Well-developed conceptual and analytical skills.
A little bit about us
University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick employs more than 3,200 full- and part-time staff, including faculty, support staff and students. UNB values people and we have proudly been named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2024 and one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers for 2023.
UNB is situated on the unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik and Mi'kmaq peoples along the banks of the beautiful and bountiful Wolastoq river, a region recognized worldwide for its natural beauty. UNB is a comprehensive university with a long history of excellence in teaching and research.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
WHY CHOOSE UNB?
UNB offers a large variety of benefits for employees, including a full pension, a minimum of three weeks of vacation annually, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), and dental, life, and health insurance.
PROFESSIONAL & TECHNICAL STAFF UNION (PTSU)
This position is part of the PSAC, Local 60551 employee group and falls under the PTSU Collective Agreement.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
We thank all who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.