GRANT- PAID JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSTING NUMBER: GPD-18026
POSTING DATE: May 11, 2018
CLOSING DATE: May 25, 2018
Research Implementation Unit Ocean Data Manager
Ocean Frontier Institute
The Ocean Frontier Institute (OFI) is a major new global hub for ocean research headquartered at Dalhousie University with partners at major ocean research centres around the North Atlantic Ocean. OFI is establishing the Research Implementation Unit (RIU): a team of highly skilled and specialized technical staff who will assist OFI researchers at Dalhousie with field and laboratory research, data management and analysis, and interaction with key technical personnel from OFI partners.
Reporting to the RIU Coordinator, the RIU Ocean Data Manager will maintain and expand a data management solution for the various oceanographic data streams collected from the North Atlantic. This solution will include automation of data processing, insertion of data into databases, optimizing the data for public access, and distributing the data via program specific web pages.
- Supervise OFI ocean data team staff, students, and interns, and represent team at national and international conferences.
- Provide technical support for various research projects and advise on best practices for generating, storing, and serving various types of data.
- Assist researchers in designing and implementing data management plans that will meet the needs of the potential users of the data produced.
- Develop and maintain software tools in various scripting languages to assist users in acquiring, storing, processing, analyzing, and serving geospatial data collected by a variety of hardware platforms.
- Develop and maintain relational databases for storing and managing metadata and develop standardized procedures for organizing and processing data that are compliant with international standards.
- Assist in integrating new sensors with innovative automated scientific sampling platforms.
Qualifications: Undergraduate degree in computer science, with a minimum of 5 years of experience working in data management (or equivalent combination of training and experience). Experience working in an academic environment preferred. Must have expertise with multiple operating systems, including Windows, Mac and Linux; system administration experience in RedHat derived Linux preferred. Must have experience with service monitoring software (BigBrother, Nagios), and with relational database design, and task automation and file parsing in a scripting language (Python/PHP/Perl/Ruby). Demonstrated expertise in web design and data distribution via web pages is required, and experience with modern web frameworks is an asset (Angular, Vue, js, etc.). Familiarity with geospatial data and experience with Matlab and data visualization is an asset. Must possess excellent communication skills (written and oral) in order to give oral presentations, have excellent attention to detail and the ability to work as part of a team.
Status: approx. 35 hours/week
Pay Scale: $70,000 - $80,000 plus additional benefits
Duration: 2-year term with possibility of renewal.
Apply on-line by May 25, 2018 to competition GPD-18026.
We thank all applicants, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity
A little bit about us
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada’s leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region’s intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 18,500 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that’s celebrating 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.