Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 18,800 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that's celebrating 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
The School of Physiotherapy, within the Faculty of Health, has established the Dalhousie Physiotherapy Clinic to deliver exceptional physiotherapy services to Dalhousie's students, athletes, faculty/staff and the general public utilizing an evidence-based treatment approach, creating innovative experiential learning opportunities for our students, and incorporating research-centered clinical practice. The Physiotherapists will provide physiotherapy treatment, focusing on client-centered care in the context of evidence based practice for clients of the Dalhousie Physiotherapy Clinic. These positions will report to the Clinic Manager.
- Perform clinical assessments and implement individualized treatment plans for clients and provide ongoing evaluation of client progress.
- Utilize advanced skills in the treatment of patients with injuries and issues of a sport, work-related or complex musculoskeletal nature.
- Communicate with appropriate referral sources and stakeholders regarding clinician services (e.g. billing, return-to-work/sport, etc.).
- Act as a Clinical Instructor (CI), apply evidence-based practice to provide clinical instruction to MSc Physiotherapy students on clinical placements, and co-supervise (with School faculty) students on site visits.
- Play a key role in the development and delivery of the Dalhousie Athletic Trainers Program and the education of the trainers.
- Stay current with knowledge, trends and practices that are necessary to provide appropriate scope in assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and other applicable areas within the scope of professional practice.
- Demonstrate involvement with research opportunities in the context of the Dalhousie Physiotherapy Clinic.
- Contribute to the promotion and programming of the Dalhousie Physiotherapy Clinic within Dalhousie and the community.
Note: Flexibility in work scheduling will be required to meet operational requirements of the Clinic (current Clinic operating hours are 7am-7pm, Monday to Friday; and 9am-1pm, Saturday). In addition, coverage at Dalhousie Athletics varsity events may be required.
Qualifications: Completion of a degree in Physiotherapy including successful completion of Level 2 Upper and Lower Orthopaedic Division course along with a minimum of three years' experience in orthopaedic practice is required. Achievement of a higher level in the Orthopaedic Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association would be considered an asset. Sport Physiotherapy diploma and/or certification is considered an asset. Must be registered with the Nova Scotia College of Physiotherapists with a Practicing License; eligible for membership in the Orthopaedic Division and Sport Division of the Canadian Physiotherapy Association along with valid and current First Responders Course or equivalent. Experience in the treatment of athletes required. Strong communication and interpersonal skills are required.
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie's core and leadership competencies https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html, in particular:
- Self Awareness and Professionalism
- Respect and Inclusion
- Knowledge and Thinking Skills
- Relationship Building
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program.
Apply online by July 15, 2018 to competition DPMG-18090.
Salary Range: $57,777 - $78,168 per annum (ADM-06) This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months. There are two positions available.
This position is part of the Dalhousie Professional & Managerial Group (DPMG).
Applications from university employees and external candidates are given concurrent consideration. Among short-listed candidates, university employees will be given special consideration. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Aboriginal people, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.
A little bit about us
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018.
Human Resources Advisor, Human Resources, ADM5
Halifax, NS, CA
Evaluation Specialist (Term), Continuing Professional Development, Faculty of Medicine, ADM5
Halifax, NS, CA
Clerk, International Centre, C5
Halifax, NS, CA
Research Assistant (Part-Time, 2 Positions), Healthy Populations Institute
Halifax, NS, CA
Research Coordinator (Part-Time), Healthy Population Institute
Halifax, NS, CA