Position: Recruitment Officer (1 year contract)
Department: Enrolment Services- Recruitment & Marketing
Salary: $49,252 - $63,471 (Group 4) (APC)
Under the direction of the Director of Admissions and Recruitment, the Recruitment Officer implements the High School recruitment program; acts as a liaison between the University, high schools, locally, and nationally, prospective students and their parents.
What you'll do
Duties in this position include, but are not limited to:
- Conducts presentations, seminars and visits, representing Saint Mary's University both on and off campus, as well as online (through web conferencing software) to groups of students, counselors, parents, etc. and in particular tours locations in Canada (approx. 200 visits per annum) and distributes information to them.
- Builds and maintains relationships with high school guidance counselors and teachers.
- Contributes regularly to departmental social media groups (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) and responds to inquiries as quickly as possible.
- Contributes to digital recruitment initiatives as assigned (and trained) to better reach target audiences (e.g. Google Ad Words, IP targeting, updating copy on web pages, placing social media ads).
- Must be fully knowledgeable and keep all students informed about admission requirements for Arts, Science, Commerce, Environmental Studies, Pre-Professional, Engineering and Continuing Education (upgrading) programs. In addition, the incumbent must maintain a thorough understanding of pre-requisites, scholarships, bursaries and loans, counseling services, organizations and clubs on campus, residence, student life as well as educational and employment trends. Because students rely heavily on this information for their decision to attend or not attend, professional delivery of the information they receive from the recruiter is essential.
- Maintains familiarity with high school curriculums in target markets.
- Coordinates activities with other university departments and/or external agencies.
- Following guidelines established with the Director, uses assigned software to develop and manage student databases (CRM), from data generated from lead, applicant, and registrant pools.
- Gathers and organizes program summaries and data about program costs for use on the website and in university collateral (e.g. Viewbook).
- Stays informed of relevant local and national education trends and competitor marketing by reading educational blogs, research and demographic reports for development of the annual business plan for assigned region(s).
- Represents the University at events as assigned, within Canada and internationally as requested. Preparing formal presentations and materials for distributions for events attended by 20 - 1,000+ students. Answering inquiries pertaining to admission requirements and the University overall during such events.
- With the Director's approval, recommends and assists in outlining communication strategies to key stakeholders (Students, parents, guidance counselors).
- Actively participates in promotional activities and makes suggestions for improvements (e.g. direct mail, advertising, multimedia, etc.)
- Enhances existing associations with school counselors by hosting events, seminars, tours, and/or parent programs where feedback on areas of improvement of the recruitment program is solicited.
- Replies to in person and email inquiries to potential students and the general public regarding admissions or institutional information within 48 hours (during business hours, longer over weekends/holidays).
- Operates office equipment and uses software as required, including: Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook), Banner, and CRM (EZ Recruit).
- Tracks and records all recruitment initiatives for reports requested by the Director, Business Plans and CRM entry (i.e. school visits, tours etc.)
- Performs office maintenance functions including photocopying, scanning, filing of transcripts and other related information, sending and receiving faxes/scanned documents, correspondence, and information, and keeping updated records as assigned.
- Provides internal information to staff and faculty and external information to school counselors, students and general public for tours, visits, and presentations.
- Ensures that efforts of the department are consistent with established strategic plans, policies, customer service and quality assurance principles.
- Coordinates visits, arranges calling after hours, if need be, to set up next day's appointments, prepares presentation and event materials.
Other duties as assigned
What you'll need
To be the successful Recruitment Officer you will possess an undergraduate degree in related discipline (e.g. Marketing, Public Relations, or Social Sciences) and one (1) year of related experience. You demonstrate an ability to work and establish positive relationships with students from diverse backgrounds and be able to work effectively with student employees, staff, faculty and administrators to motivate and engage individuals. You must be able to relate professionally and positively with prospective student, high school administration and faculty and be able to deal constructively with a variety of people on and off campus. A solid understanding of sales/marketing processes and methodologies and effective time management and organizational skills with the ability to multi-task/prioritize changing workloads are considered essential for this position. Further, you have strong and proven oral and written communication skills, computer skills (knowledge of Microsoft Office and multimedia applications to support school visits and career fairs) and a customer-service focused attitude. Banner experience will be considered an asset. This position requires the successful individual to be willing and able to travel extensively throughout the year, work evenings and weekends and incur overtime as required.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: September 10, 2019 Competition Closes: September 20, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus.
Financial Aid & Awards Officer (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month LTA - Int. Development Studies Program
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month, Full-Time Sessional Appointment, Assistant Professor - Department of Psychology
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment, Assistant Professor - International Development Studies Program
Halifax, NS, CA