Location: Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Full-time, 1 Permanent & 1 Term (up to 12 months)
Union Status: NSGEU Local 47
Competition # MET 22007
Closing Date: January 27, 2023
Under the general supervision of the Purchasing Officer, the Purchasing Assistant is responsible for procuring goods, services and construction required by all departments of Metropolitan District in accordance with established procurement policies and procedures.
What you'll do
• Procure goods and services in accordance with policies and procedures which includes compiling sources of supplies/services, information about availability, specifications, and delivery dates for recommendation to and approval of Purchasing Officer or other manager; producing purchase orders; ensuring appropriate spending limits/authorizations are obtained; updating supplier/inventory data/base; reconciling invoice problems with suppliers; and notifying bidders of results.
• Prepare tender documents, including addenda to posted tenders, preparing, tracking, and updating change orders in the system and attending site tours.
• Participate in Tender Committee and pre-job meetings, including arranging meetings, assisting in the evaluation process, and preparing minutes.
• Maintain adequate and just-in-time inventory by reviewing weekly usage reports to determine an order date, quantities required and back-order status.
• Assess new vendor applications, log, and track tender invoices through the approval process, and ensure that required approvals and supporting documents are provided.
What you'll need
• Applicants will have Grade 12 or high school equivalent plus three years' related experience with a good knowledge of inventory practices, you will also have mathematical skills to check tender price submissions and invoices.
• You must have excellent computer skills and demonstrate competency in desktop software including Microsoft Office with the ability to exercise sound judgement, you will initiate and respond to inquiries regarding stores operations and questions from contractors/vendors/bidders.
• Accuracy, attention to detail and organization skills are critical in this role, you must have ability to source supplies with competitive prices and evaluate vendors and products.
• You must have strong communication, interpersonal and client service skills to maintain relationships with clients including NSPHA staff as well as vendors, contractors, other departments, and the public. In this role you work independently with little supervision, as well as in a team environment.
• You must possess a valid Nova Scotia driver's license with access to a reliable vehicle for work purposes.
• Working knowledge Yardi Property Management software and Keystone Network Key Control software will be considered an asset.
• Knowledge of building materials, including plumbing, electrical and heating components is also an asset.
Competencies required at this level of work are Accuracy, Attention to Detail, Organization, and Communication.
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver's abstract, and confirmation of education credentials.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians.
We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that's right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners.
Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia's housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification: CL 18
Salary Range: $23.24 to $26.00 per hour
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
We are committed to employing staff who are representatives of the diverse community we serve. If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number, competition name, the source of posting, and (if applicable) self-identify in one or more of the designated groups.
Our preferred method of applying is through Career Beacon, otherwise all applications/ resumes should be sent directly to:
NSPHA, Human Resources Services
Email: [email protected]
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.