The Telegraph-Journal is hiring a journalist with keen news judgement, an eagerness to break stories and a clean, clear writing style. We require a reporter who quickly gets immersed in assignments, thoroughly researching and reporting news and feature stories to tight deadlines, is enterprising and will dig up exclusive stories.
We are seeking an experienced, confident and assertive team player who is equally at ease working independently. Applicants need to display an affinity for emerging reporting techniques and will also be assessed on their breadth of interest, intellectual curiosity and collegiality.
What you'll do
- Report and write stories on political events for online and print
- Able to work unsupervised
- Able to adhere to deadlines and work under pressure
- Able to inquire and provide original ideas
- Verify news and other copy for accuracy
- Arrange for and conduct interviews as part of research and for print/multimedia
What you'll need
- University or college-level studies in journalism or a related education
- Previous newsroom experience
- A demonstrated ability to produce detailed, accurate work under deadline pressure
- Working knowledge of and experience using social media
- Highly developed organizational skills -- able to multi-task in high-stress situations
- Sound knowledge of Canadian Press style
- An excellent command of the English language; fluency in spoken and written French would be an asset
- Photography and videography skills are required
- A solid understanding of media law
- A car and valid driver's license
We're looking for
A little bit about us
BNI is Atlantic Canada's most dynamic media group and provides a comprehensive package of news and information to readers throughout New Brunswick. Our ever-growing network of media outlets includes three daily newspapers, over a dozen weekly newspapers, distribution services, digital marketing solutions, and New Brunswick's most popular online news platform
Are you interested?
Work With Us
The Telegraph-Journal is the provincial newspaper for New Brunswick with a long history of award-winning journalism. It is also home to the dynamic online news operation TJ.news. Based in Saint John with bureau operations in Fredericton, the TJ is widely read as New Brunswick's newspaper of record.
If you are interested in applying for this career opportunity, please click "Apply Now." Attach your resume, including a cover letter and clippings.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.