Title: Personal Trainer
Department: Athletics and Recreation
Position Status: Casual, Full Time & Part Time Available, Hourly
Reports to: Fitness Coordinator
Start Date: December 2021
Location: The Homburg Centre for Health & Wellness, 920 Tower Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Personal Trainer is a member of the Recreation team of SMU Athletics and Recreation which supports internal and external stakeholders by, providing a welcoming and inclusive environment, providing accessible, engaging, meaningful and rehabilitative training sessions, providing a clean and safe environment, and providing friendly and helpful service.
The Personal Trainer is responsible for creating memorable customer experiences throughout the Homburg Centre and works collaboratively with the rest of the team to inspire healthy, active lifestyles through fun client centered programs. The Personal Trainer is an enthusiastic individual who has a positive attitude and takes pride in a job well done. They also have an outgoing, fun, yet professional attitude. SMUfit Trainers are responsible for providing outstanding front line customer service to both internal and external customers in support of our Athletics and Recreation programs.
What you'll do
Develop and provide personalized programs to each client's individual needs
Improvise and adapt to a variety of clients
Build meaningful relationships by engaging and communicating with clients, assessing client capability, actively listening, showing compassion, building rapport, and offering ongoing coaching/motivation
Demonstrate professionalism (communication, uniform, punctuality)
Identify and report equipment deficiencies, affix signage to prohibit use
Provide customers and clients with information and about various personal training packages, programs, and memberships
Ability to renew clients personal training packages and obtain new clients
Work effectively in a team environment
Orient members regarding equipment usage and facility etiquette
Work varying shifts (evenings/weekends)
Respond to and assist with various first aid situations
Effectively use Fusion software to track client sessions remaining/completed
Attend quarterly staff meetings as well as additional trainings as needed
What you'll need
· A valid Personal Training Certification or Diploma (CSEP CPT, Can Fit Pro, ACE, NSFA PT, NSCA)
· 1-2 years' experience in Personal Training
· Experience generating internal and external clients
· Strong customer service/sales skills, with demonstrated ability to build relationships and establish rapport with clients
· A strong Knowledge of Anatomy, Biomechanics, Movement Screening, Program Design and Physiology
· Proof of ongoing continuing education/learning credits
· Strong organizational and time management skills
· Flexibility to work irregular hours
· Current Standard First Aid with CPR-C
o Or ability to obtain certification by first scheduled shift
· Completion of a university or college program, majoring in Kinesiology, Physical Education, or related field, or an equivalent combination of experience with Personal Training
· Bilingual in French, Arabic, etc. is an asset
· Ability to make quick decisions with minimal supervisory assistance
· Self-motivated, with strong attention to detail
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.
At Saint Mary's University equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we welcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
You will become part of a dedicated network of individuals with great passion for providing a holistic support to the communities in which we serve. In addition, you will receive:
· Access and use of the facility for your own fitness and wellness goals.
· Access to all SMU Huskey's games and events.
· A competitive hourly wage with the flexibility to build your own schedule.
Effective October 15, 2021 all students, staff, and faculty are required to be fully vaccinated with a Health Canada approved vaccine in accordance with the University policy available here. The successful candidate will be required to show proof of vaccination in accordance with our University policies.