Position: Payroll Administrator (APC)
Department: Human Resources
Annual Salary: $43,774 - $56,416 (Group 3)
Under the direct supervision of the Supervisor, Payroll & HRIS, the Payroll Administrator prepares student/casual/part-time/full-time payroll for a population of over 2000.
What you'll do
Duties as the Payroll Administrator include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring all casual employee paperwork is complete upon receipt in payroll, which includes confirming employee and position numbers on forms and ensuring they are correct.
- Confirming information on Staff Payroll Profiles is correct and contacting the appropriate HR employees for confirmation or explanation where necessary.
- Performing all data entry required to complete all bi-weekly payrolls.
- Running all processes necessary to calculate net pay, which includes checking output for reasonableness and error, and committing payroll once checking is complete.
- Running exception and change reports to confirm direct deposit changes; pays under multiple pay IDs; and future dated record changes.
- Producing and assessing reasonableness of Direct Deposit Files for upload to the RBC Express website by the Senior Director, Human Resources, Senior Director, Financial Services or the Manager, Financial Systems
- Responsible for identifying the need for calculating and processing all payments produced outside of the payroll cycle for all employees. This includes processing the payment in Banner, completing the appropriate paperwork in accordance with audit requirements, inputting into RBC Express, providing explanation as necessary to the RBC Express approver, and ensuring there is an approver available.
- Manually calculating Maternity Leave and Sabbatical payments.
- Processing labour redistributions and making corrections to job and position setups as requested.
- Actively monitoring RBC Express for direct deposits that error out at the bank and is responsible for tracing missing payments and recalling incorrect pay deposits.
- Completing reconciliation of bank transactions and working with Financial Services to resolve discrepancies.
- Ensuring garnishments are executed correctly and in a timely fashion.
- Coordinating the development and maintenance of standardized reports and the creation of ad hoc reports to ensure compliance with departmental needs and/or collective agreement requirements.
- Producing Records of Employment in accordance with ESDC regulations.
- Working closely with Financial Services regarding G/L account inquiries, bank account transactions and accounts receivables processed by payroll.
- Maintaining current knowledge of collective agreements and Revenue Canada updates.
- Responding promptly to complex inquiries, both internal and external, by phone, email, in person and by mail.
- Responding to requests from ESDC with regard to records of employment and other similar information.
- Providing information/reports on status of employee sick leave, vacation and overtime as requested.
- Receipting all benefit and overpayment recoveries received by payroll and preparing bank deposit bag, deposit slips and reconciliation sheets and deliver to the Service Centre.
- Processing credit card payments using the Moneris System.
- Tracking benefit payment amounts and dates to ensure all premiums are deducted in a timely manner.
- Filing all full-time, part-time and casual employment documentation.
- Setting up new casual binders at the start of each year and ensuring adherence to the records retention policies.
What you'll need
To be the successful Payroll Administrator you will possess community college courses equivalent to one (1) year post-high school education; completion of Payroll Compliance Legislation and Payroll Fundamentals 1 courses, as offered by the Canadian Payroll Association; and a minimum one (1) year directly related payroll processing experience. You demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, both oral and written; hold a successful record of teamwork in a high volume work environment with the ability to handle multiple priorities; and have superior organizational skills and attention to detail. Excellent computer/keyboarding skills, using an integrated computerized payroll system, Word, Excel, File Transfer Protocol (FTP) software and Crystal Reports, with speed and accuracy is important. The Ability to handle and maintain strict confidentiality and understand the conditions under which information can be released will round out your qualifications.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on January 13, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Offensive Coordinator– Football (Contract until Dec 31, 2022)
Halifax, NS, CA
Library Assistant IV (NSGEU Local 79) (Permanent)
Halifax, NS, CA
Admissions Records Clerk (NSGEU Local 79) (9 Month Temporary Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
General Worker, Lead Hand (Temporary, Full Time) (NSGEU Local 170) (3 positions)
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA