At Parkland, our purpose is to Power Journeys & Energize Communities. We are a prominent independent supplier and marketer of fuel and petroleum products and a leading convenience store operator. As One Parkland team, we proudly serve diverse retail, commercial and wholesale customers across Canada, the United States, the Caribbean region, and South America. We power a growing family of locally known brands including M&M Food Market, Fas Gas Plus, Pioneer, RaceTrac, Superpumper, Ultramar, Chevron, Esso, ON the RUN, Ultramar, Bluewave Energy, Pipeline, Chevron, Columbia Fuels, Island Petroleum, and Sparlings Propane.
We recognize that diversity gives us an edge and inclusion propels us forward. We're also a passionate team of down-to-earth achievers, committed to getting our customers, colleagues and communities further, faster. As such, we welcome talented individuals that have a variety of perspectives, backgrounds, and industry experience who will contribute to the success of our One Parkland team.
Position Title: Payroll Administrator - Bilingual
Team: People and Culture
Reporting to the HRIS manager, this position works directly and corporately with all P&C members and Payroll personnel to meet the payroll goals and deadlines. The Payroll Administrator is responsible for the timely and accurate processing and transmission of payroll for their assigned business units province wide, along with union payrolls in Quebec and Ontario. Payroll currently includes bi-weekly and weekly payroll for hourly and salary employees and variable compensation programs. In addition to the preparation, collection and review of payroll, responsibilities also include various union reporting requirements. A high level of confidentiality is expected in this role.
- Responsible for preparing, collection and verifying bi-weekly payrolls for salaried and hourly employees in accordance with established provincial and federal legislation (approx. 200 employees).
- Responsible for preparing, collection and verifying weekly/bi-weekly payrolls for union and non-union employees in QC and ON. Understanding of 3 collective agreements (approx. 100 employees).
- Calculating and processing gross to net payroll, retroactive pay, vacation pay, overtime, commissions, severance, bonuses, shift differential and deductions such as garnishments, parking, float deduction, union dues, pension, etc.
- Verifies auto timesheets are calculating correctly, missed punches are fixed, and approvals completed for time and PTO requests and exception entries, all within the specified payroll processing deadline.
- General Ledger for finance.
- Submission of cheques to union and pension plans after each payroll.
- Responsible for PTO plan maintenance and reporting.
- Responsible for entering data for employee such as new hires, ROEs, terminations, transfers, reclassifications, promotions, sunlife setup, etc. (employee full life cycle).
- Identify and resolve discrepancies through checks, auditing and adjustments to reconcile payroll utilizing reports from payroll, UTM, benefits, etc.
- Liase as required with department managers and P&C teams to clarify or request further information for payroll cycle to complete duties as required, following auditing requirements.
- Answering questions and resolving issues regarding payroll with internal and external stakeholders.
- Problem solving issues that are routine and may require further guidance from management if complex or out scope.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Annual T4 and RL1 completion in ADP.
- Weekly reports to the business on new hires, terminations, changes, etc. that affect JDE, Concur and other systems within the business.
- Monthly union reporting.
- Monthly ON WCB remittances.
- Quarterly union reporting.
- Many additional weekly, bi-weekly and monthly reports for managers and the business.
- Ad-hoc reports as requested.
- Backup other Payroll Administrators for payroll processing on both the hourly and salary payrolls.
- Responsible for ad-hoc projects.
- Assist in processing the annual Merit increases.
- Annual union increases and Sunlife updates.
- Annual pension/CAAT reporting.
- Annual vacation rates updates/calculations for union employees.
- Annual union release hours.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum 2 years of payroll processing multi provincial payroll in a large organization with union experience.
- Bi-lingual would be an asset.
- Working towards or completion of your Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP) is an asset.
- Proficient in MS Word, MS Outlook, and spreadsheet/database (MS Excel) is required.
- Working knowledge of industry payroll systems UKG and ADP is preferred, or similar payroll system.
- Executes with accuracy and timely in turning around data entry with minimal errors through a strong attention to detail and good organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written to interact at all levels of the organization.
- Maturity to understand and respect the sensitivity and confidentiality of payroll matters.
- Knowledge of payroll compliance, provincial and federal employment legislation for Canada.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a dynamic team environment.
- Our Performance-based Annual Incentive Plan, an annual bonus awarding your performance.
- A share in our success through the Employee Share Purchase Plan and 100% company matching.
- A flexible group benefit plan that offers health and dental coverage choices to meet the needs of each unique employee. Inclusive of life and disability insurances, Health Care and Lifestyle Spending options, and a supportive Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- Participation in Parkland Pledge, an employee-driven charitable giving program.
- An employee referral program - earn up to $2000 for your referral.
- In-house learning and development opportunities, leadership training, international opportunities.
- Discount Programs and Educational Scholarship Programs for family members.
- A safety focused work environment and ongoing safety training.
- Candidates must be legally able to work in Canada at this time. Parkland regrets that it is unable to sponsor employment Visas.
- Parkland Corporation is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We strive to provide accessibility in employment to ensure equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. Parkland Corporation will endeavour to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability, please notify us upon scheduling your interview.
- Please note that final candidates for this position will be required to undergo a confidential pre-employment background check which may include but not be limited to educational, criminal, credit, drug and alcohol and/or Fitness for Duty testing.
This position will close when a successful candidate is found.