New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) is committed to transforming lives and communities. The College is currently seeking a dynamic and competent individual for the position of Instructor, Medical Laboratory Assistant and Medical Laboratory Technology. When you work at NBCC, you are a valued team member and a part of a community of leaders who are driven by learning excellence and social and economic development.
This is a Regular Part-time employment opportunity, located at the NBCC Saint John, Allied Health campus. The hours of work will be 18 hours weekly.
What you'll do
As part of the School of Health and Wellness, and reporting to the Academic Chair, the Instructor, Medical Laboratory Assistant and Medical Laboratory Technology, is responsible for planning and preparing instructional materials and resources; establishing and managing a positive learning environment; instructing and evaluating students; building and sustaining professional relationships with students, colleagues, community partners, and stakeholders; as well as other related duties.
Instructional areas may include any laboratory discipline and related auxiliary courses (e.g. Interpersonal Communication) as required.
This position may also supervise students completing off-site clinical rotations.
Responsibilities will include scheduling of laboratory activities, classroom management and may also include ordering of laboratory supplies. Hours of work will include weekdays.
You will be required to teach students online, in the classroom and in lab. You will be willing and able to integrate technology and active student learning techniques into teaching practices.
What you'll need
- A diploma in medical laboratory technology or a bachelor's degree in medical laboratory science, related experience in a hospital laboratory environment.
- You must be in possession of or be eligible for licensing from the New Brunswick Society of Medical Laboratory Technologists (NBSMLT).
- You must be an active, certified member of the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- Preference may be given to candidates with a minimum of five (5) years of recent and related experience.
- Preference may be given to candidates who have experience teaching in a post-secondary environment.
- Knowledge of the accreditation process to assist with program accreditation and experience in other areas of the laboratory will be considered an asset.
- You will be required to provide proof of immunization and criminal background check.
- Working Knowledge/High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to maintain a high degree of professionalism and confidentiality.
- Demonstrated problem-solving skills, analytical ability, and innovative thinking.
- Self-motivated, service and results oriented.
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively independently and within a team.
- A desire for continuous learning and growth.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate how they meet these qualifications on their resumes.
Other combinations of education and experience may be considered as equivalent. Subject to competition response, the minimum qualifications may be raised.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
New Brunswick Community College (NBCC)
With six Campuses across the province, New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) transforms lives and communities across New Brunswick and contributes to the social and economic prosperity of our province.
Why work with NBCC?
- You want to make a difference. By working at NBCC, you can support students in achieving their educational and career aspirations, help meet the needs of employers and contribute to stronger communities across New Brunswick.
- You want to belong to something bigger. NBCC welcomes the individual experiences and perspectives of our learners, our staff and our partners. We nurture a culture of belonging where everyone feels valued and has opportunities to add value. NBCC is an equal opportunity employer building a dynamic team that is representative of the communities and industries that we serve.
- We're one of the best places to work in Atlantic Canada. For seven years in a row, we have been named one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers because of our commitment to families, community service and employee engagement. This includes, paid time off to volunteer, comprehensive benefits packages and professional development opportunities.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
- A culture that is focused on nurturing a sense of belonging for all employees.
- A competitive salary range of $28.39 to $40.00 per hour. Successful candidates may be eligible for a higher maximum step, up to $43.68 per hour, based on their level of post-secondary education.
- Opportunity to become a member of the Part time Seasonal Employees of NB Pension plan.
- Opportunities for professional development and training.
- NBCC supports the wellbeing of its employees. We provide free access to an Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Paid sick and vacation leave.
- Volunteer leave.
- Tuition Reimbursement Programs (Employee: Tuition Reimbursement Program AND Family: Tuition Reduction Benefit - Spouse and Children).
This position is a unionized position where the terms and conditions of employment are in accordance with the NBUPPE - Education (Instructional) collective agreement for the College.
All applicants must be eligible to work in Canada at the time of application. This competition may be used to fill future vacancies at the same level.
The New Brunswick Community College (NBCC) is committed to being flexible in its operations and to the wellbeing of its employees. This includes considering reasonable requests for alternative work arrangements, when feasible, to meet the changing needs of the College and its students. In order to ensure our student needs are met, flexible work arrangements cannot extend beyond the New Brunswick border. NBCC employees must be living in a location that is a reasonable distance from one of our seven work locations around the Province.
We promote an equal opportunity work environment.
All interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed application, with a resume, online by May 30, 2023. All applications will be acknowledged upon receipt.