Contract: This position is considered a maternity leave contract, starting on December 1, 2021and ending on March 10, 2023.
The Patrick Power Library seeks an energetic and innovative librarian to lead our outreach services and engagement programs. We require an individual who is excited about working withothers, and who will take an innovative approach to promoting the Library's growing collectionsand evolving services. The successful applicant will report to the University Librarian, within a collegial working environment.
What you'll do
• Promotes the Library's resources, services and spaces to students, faculty, staff, and othe rusers
• Assesses and works to improve the Library's online presence to ensure its continued currency, effectiveness and usability
• Develops and manages Library outreach initiatives to university and community audiences
• Organizes Library events
• Serves as Library Liaison for assigned academic departments to select materials and assess collections for courses and program reviews
• Delivers information literacy and classroom teaching sessions, and provides Reference and Research services
• Participates in library management and consortia activities
In consultation with the University Librarian and the Library Management Committee:
• Manages and implements the Library's social media and communications strategy
• Communicates and updates all media channels regarding operational changes, including library signage
• Formulates goals, plans, and procedures for implementing outreach services in accordance with organizational plans and priorities
• Analyses statistics and prepares reports for outreach and engagement programs
• Assesses user experience with resources, services and space
• Monitors the design and content of the Library's website, revising information as needed
• Organizes, promotes and hosts library programming, such as faculty author readings and podcasts
• Responds to user feedback on resources, services or other aspects of library operations
• Promotes library resources and services at university open houses, new student orientations and other public events
• Designs and drafts the Library's annual report
• Provides library tours and orientation to visiting scholars and students
• Serves as a resource to departments and staff on issues related to library promotion and outreach initiatives
• Other responsibilities as required
What you'll need
• A Master's degree in library/information studies from an ALA-accredited program
• A thorough understanding of current and emerging technologies and techniques to achieve the Library's outreach and engagement objectives
• Awareness of current issues and trends in higher education and academic libraries,including faculty and student use of emerging technologies and resources
• Experience working with social media and its applications
• Demonstrates a knowledge of library reference and research services
• Demonstrates effective teaching and presentation skills
• Able to work effectively within a team environment
• Self-motivated, able to work independently
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of graphic design principles
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.
Learn more about working at Saint Mary's University here and follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Interested individuals are invited to submit a cover letter and a current resume with the names and contact information of three references. Submissions must be received by 4:30 PM on theclosing date of October 15, 2021. When submitting your cover letter and resume electronically, please merge into one documentand send to [email protected]
At Saint Mary's University equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, wewelcome applications from women, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientation or gender identity and others who might contribute to the growth and enrichment of our community.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact Suzanne van den Hoogen at [email protected]
The Patrick Power Library is dedicated to meeting the academic research needs of theUniversity's students, faculty and staff.
Saint Mary's is a public university with over 7,000 students, offering a variety of undergraduateand graduate degrees. Our university is committed to serving the local, regional, national, and international communities, and integrating community engagement as part of the learning environment for undergraduate and graduate students.
Saint Mary's University is located in the historic port city of Halifax, Nova Scotia, a vibrant, urban community of over 430,000 people. Halifax is a major educational centre for Atlantic Canada and is home to five universities. It is conveniently located to recreational areas and toother major urban centres in Canada and the Northeastern United States.