Position: Offensive Coordinator - Football (Contract until Dec 31, 2022)
Department: Athletics & Recreation
Annual Salary: $50,000 annually
Reporting to the Head Coach - Football, the Offensive Coordinator assists in the planning and implementation of the football program at Saint Mary's University. The position will collaborate with all other members of the Athletics and Recreation Department to ensure the appropriate level of service and support is provided to the inter-university football team. Participating as a member of this high-performance unit, the incumbent assists in creating a departmental culture that embraces and supports student athletes, coaches, and teams in the pursuit of excellence and contributes to the formulation of programs and services that support general program development and the holistic needs of high-performance student athletes.
Revenue generation is a key strategic priority for Athletics and Recreation (A&R), the incumbent will aid, as directed by the Head Coach - Football, to raise annual revenues that will directly support program costs. This responsibility may require close interaction with all other units within the Athletic and Recreation department, as well as the Alumni Office, the Office of Advancement, community partners, and other related business and sport groups in the province of Nova Scotia.
What you'll do
Duties as the Offensive Coordinator - Football include, but are not limited to:
- Assigns tasks and/or delegates responsibility.
- Monitors performance and provides day-to-day and periodic formal performance feedback. Counsels, and provides training and development opportunities to enhance performance levels and team participation.
- Selects and recommends direct reports, confirms selection and transfer of indirect reports.
- Resolves employee concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures.
- Monitors, advises and assists in academic mentoring with student athletes.
- Monitors study hall and class attendance in conjunction with the Head Coach.
- Under the direction of the Head Coach - Football, assists in the development and implementation of a clear offensive vision as the Offensive Coordinator by contributing to the football programs multi-year performance plan along with the yearly training and competition plan that is conductive to Saint Mary's being a perennial national contender.
- Participates in team selection, personnel management, team and individual goal setting, individual skill acquisition and refinement programs.
- Remains up to date and applies all USport, Football Canada and AUS rules in regards to eligibility policies.
- Assists in the development, planning and implementation of the team's comprehensive talent identification and recruitment strategy that compliments the academic standards of the University.
- Uses football performance analysis software (HUDL/Gamestrat) and the processes to assist in scouting, practice and games.
- Provides holistic support for student athletes, empowering them to achieve their greatest potential academically, athletically, and as a community leader.
- Participates in education and academic support programs, being available to student athletes when required.
- Ensures that appropriate risk management provisions are facilitated with respect to training, competition, and equipment within the jurisdiction of direct responsibility.
- Where requested, assists in the development and implementation of a comprehensive sport promotion and engagement plan.
- Works in conjunction with other members of Athletics and Recreation units to support student athlete performance in each of their respective areas, such as injury prevention, management and rehabilitation, development of individual strength and conditioning programs, recruitment, academic support programs, student athlete/team education programs; community engagement; etc.
- Promotes diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. Values individual differences, interacts effectively with persons from various diverse backgrounds to create a culture of inclusion.
- Where requested, attends league meetings, ensures compliance with all league regulations, and maintains positive relationships with other sport governing bodies.
- Maintains a high profile, acting as an ambassador representing the team and university in public speaking appearance, clinics, camps, etc. to enhance the visibility and image of the university and program.
- At the request of the Director of Athletics and Recreation, serves on department or campus committees working groups and/or task forces, supports other programs, participates in department initiatives, attends and takes on annual projects.
- Assists with fundraising activities and programs.
- Assists, Head Coach- Football in the development of the annual budget.
- Ensures fiscal responsibility with operating budget(s).
What you'll need
To be the successful Offensive Coordinator - Football you will possess a minimum of 3-years post-secondary education, preferably in Physical Education, Kinesiology, Sport Administration or Sports Management, however a University degree is preferred. The successful candidate will have comprehensive knowledge of football coaching systems and strategies and a proven ability to recruit student athletes. You will further demonstrate leadership, program development and athlete development skills at a high-performance level and will be highly competent with football specific game breakdown and analysis software and programs. Post-secondary coaching experience is required. NCCP Coaching Certification will be considered an asset. The successful candidate must be able to produce a satisfactory Criminal records check. Consideration will be given for the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Additional skills for the position:
Additional skills for this position include the ability to teach/coach/prepare for practice at a national level. The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills (written and oral), the ability to interact professionally and effective with people at all levels. Additionally, the successful incumbent will be both service and results oriented, proficient in computer software including Microsoft/Visio programs, a creative thinker and will work well both independently and within a team environment. You must be able to facilitate groups of people to work towards and succeed with shared goals, elicit and foster trust to work effectively with athletes and coaches, exercise discretion, good judgment, and solid decision-making.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
In addition to your resume and cover letter, you must submit a statement on your offensive coaching philosophy (to be included with your resume or as a separate document). Please note, if you do not include this statement your application will be considered incomplete and will not be further considered.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on January 10, 2020 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Payroll Administrator (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Philosophy
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Geography
Halifax, NS, CA
Project Manager (9 Month Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Co-Curricular Record Coordinator (1 Year Maternity Leave Contract) (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA