Reporting to the Halifax Team Lead, the Monitoring and Surveillance Associate is responsible for analyzing and investigating alerts generated from Butterfield Group's name and transaction monitoring applications. The incumbent will ensure that any sanctions, money laundering, terrorist financing or sanction concerns are reviewed thoroughly, and results are escalated for further review where required.
What you'll do
- Investigating transaction monitoring alerts and determining if there are any suspicions of Financial Crime, and where appropriate, reporting these suspicions to the local MLRO in the form of an Internal Disclosure.
- Ensuring that all alert investigations are appropriately rationalised and documented.
- Identifying higher risk scenarios that require escalation to the Team Lead in Halifax for further review.
- Conducting research over available Bank systems, the Internet and commercial databases consistent with the resolution of screening and investigations.
- Ensuring thorough and complete documentation of all information found throughout the alert clearance process obtained from both internal and external sources.
- Liaising with the Team Lead to obtain required information and complete alert investigations.
- Escalating potential matches identified to the relevant jurisdictional Compliance teams and initiating trigger reviews when required.
- Developing a full understanding of the Bank's Group Financial Crime Minimum Standards and the Monitoring and Surveillance Team Procedures as they relate to the responsibilities set out above.
- Once training is completed, ensuring that all the alerts are investigated within the target timeframes.
- Ensuring that Quality Assurance pass rates are met.
What you'll need
- Post-secondary degree; preferably in Business or Finance.
- Previous work experience with a bank or financial services company would be considered an asset.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of applications.
- Ability to work to deadlines, and manage and prioritize tasks in a deadline driven environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with a focus on providing excellent alert investigation outcomes.
- Well-organized with the ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills, with the ability to manage multiple tasks and work effectively in a deadline-driven environment.
A little bit about us
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited
To be the leading independent offshore bank and trust company
To build relationships and wealth
Approachable - Collaborative - Empowered - Impactful
Butterfield is a full-service bank and wealth manager headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda, providing services to clients from Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey, where our principal banking operations are located, and The Bahamas, Switzerland, Singapore and the United Kingdom, where we offer specialized financial services. Banking services comprise deposit, cash management and lending solutions for individual, business and institutional clients. Wealth management services are composed of trust, private banking, asset management and custody. In Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Guernsey, we offer both banking and wealth management. In The Bahamas, Singapore and Switzerland, we offer select wealth management services. In the UK, we offer residential property lending. In Jersey, we offer select banking and wealth management services. Butterfield recently established a Support Services Centre in Halifax, NS. Butterfield is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB) and the Bermuda Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB.BH).
Butterfield in Halifax
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited provides centralized, shared services and support to the Butterfield Group in the areas of Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations, Client Services, and Compliance. Our team in Halifax is expanding to meet the growing and diverse needs of our businesses globally.
With more than 1,200 financial services professionals across ten international jurisdictions, the Butterfield experience is enhanced by robust learning and development opportunities, and comprehensive benefits. We provide a respectful environment where we value the diversity of our employees and the talents and experiences they bring to work. With a 160-year tradition of service excellence we empower individuals to achieve their potential and make a positive impact on our business, our clients and our communities.
To learn more about the Butterfield Group please visit www.butterfieldgroup.com.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Butterfield is a leading, independent offshore bank and trust company. With more than 1,200 financial services professionals across ten international jurisdictions, the Butterfield experience is enhanced by robust learning and development opportunities and comprehensive benefits. Guided by our core values-approachable, collaborative, empowered and impactful-we provide a respectful environment where we value the diversity of our employees and the talents and experiences they bring. With a 160-year tradition of service excellence we empower individuals to achieve their potential and make a positive impact on our business, our clients and our communities.