Reporting to the Vice President, Corporate Development, the Manager of Investment Properties will be responsible to work collaboratively with others to manage, support, and execute key functions related to residential and commercial investment property origination, development and construction, operations and asset management, and divestment. Much of Cresco's investment property portfolio is owned and managed through partnerships, requiring the Manager of Investment Properties to coordinate the execution of duties collaboratively with Cresco's partners and their organizations. This position requires strong organizational and written and verbal communication skills, the ability to proactively initiate tasks and manage projects, a strategic mindset, and financial and business acumen.
What you'll do
• Generally manage Cresco's investment property portfolio including the management of third-party property and asset managers who manage specific properties.
• Directly execute property and asset management services for certain properties, including coordination of leasing, operations, maintenance, and capital asset management and reporting to the property owners.
• Work with the finance and accounting department, as directed, to collect, maintain, analyse, and accurately report on data about Cresco's investment property land and building holdings, including construction progress, on an individual and aggregate portfolio basis, and develop and maintain systems to carry out these functions on a scaled basis.
• Proactively monitor and report on the real estate market generally with a specific focus on investment property and rental market trends, perform research, and make recommendations related to investment property management and valuation in line with market trends.
• As directed, assist, support, and provide input to the design and construction of multi-residential and commercial buildings in collaboration with Cresco's internal and external design and construction managers.
• Prepare, monitor, and report on detailed short-term and long-term budgets related to Cresco's investment property portfolio, including budgets for external property management and asset management providers.
• Prepare and deliver presentations to the leadership team and/or the principals as directed.
• Develop and plan for new lines of business related to property and asset management.
• Assist with the management of Cresco's own business offices and leasehold maintenance and operations.
• Participate in the origination, acquisition, and sale of real estate, including valuation, transaction and due diligence support as required.
• Carefully review investment property-related legal agreements and documents and maintain organizational systems to communicate contractual rights and obligations, ensure compliance, avoid legal and other operational conflicts, and ensure the timely renewal and/or termination of agreements as required.
• Undertake tasks, assignments, short and long-term projects and responsibilities related to other areas of Cresco's business and activities, as directed.
What you'll need
- At least 5 years prior experience with responsibilities related to residential and commercial property management.
- A university degree, preferably in business, is required, with MBA or similar post-graduate degree an asset.
- Knowledge of and ability to implement and execute property management systems.
- Strong interpersonal and verbal and written communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team in addition to working independently.
- Strong knowledge of and ability to work with relevant software including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint, various accounting software, and document management systems.
- Ability to read and understand architectural and technical survey plans and drawings.
- Ability to manage projects, including planning and execution of long-term initiatives and ability to focus on and juggle multiple tasks.
- Strong time-management skills and ability to adjust schedules.
Other desired skills/abilities:
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience in marketing and business development.
NOTE: This job posting is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
A little bit about us
For over 30 years, the owners of Cresco, first-generation Canadians Hossein Mousavi and Taleb Abidali, and their team have built award-winning homes and communities across Halifax. The magic of this successful family-owned company is in its collaboration with customers, partners and a loyal network of builders and trades. Cresco is known for its relentless focus on quality and artistry in building homes and developing communities such as The Ravines of Bedford South and The Parks of West Bedford.
Whether building single-family homes, multi-unit residential or commercial properties, or working through master-planned developments, Cresco has a long-term perspective on land acquisition, partnerships, community building and the innovative use of design and building principles.
With over fifty industry and community awards and progressive, long-term thinking, Cresco is deeply committed to giving back, evidenced by its active participation and support of organizations such as the Cobequid Health Centre Foundation, Dalhousie Medical Research Foundation, Dartmouth General Hospital Foundation, Halifax YMCA, Nova Scotia Home Builders' Association, Urban Development Institute, Halifax Chamber of Commerce, and Family Business Atlantic. Cresco has also built lottery homes for multiple charities over the past two decades.