Position: Manager, Risk and Insurance Services (APC)
Department: Financial Services
Annual Salary: $69,558 - $89,642 (Group 7)
Reporting to the Senior Director, Financial Services (SDFS), the Manager, Risk & Insurance Services advises on various types of risk (reputational, legal, safety and financial). The position manages the Saint Mary's University's insurance program (including property and casualty claims) and related operational risk management strategies within all University divisions to enable the achievement of the institution's academic, research and operational goals and objectives. The positon also supports the SDFS and the Executive Management Group (EMG) in design and implementation of the University's Enterprise Risk Management initiative.
What you'll do
Duties as the Manager, Risk and Insurance Services include, but are not limited to:
Coordination of Operational Risk Management Program under the direction of the Vice President, Finance and Administration and the Senior Director, Financial Services. These duties include:
- Developing and reviewing policies, procedures and programs to create a risk intelligent culture throughout the University, including reputational, legal, safety and financial risk.
- Promoting strong working relationships with Departments and Faculties to ensure that risks are identified, mitigated, communicated and insured (where appropriate).
- Conducting presentations for Departments and University committees as required.
- Communicating University insurance advice and operational risk management policies to University stakeholders.
- Acting as an advisor to the SDFS and EMG on the University's Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Initiative.
- Member of, or advisory to, various University committees and working groups related to risk management.
- Representing Financial Services and/or the University on external Associations as required.
Operational management of the University's insurance program (including over 12 insurance policies and excluding WCB claims and remittance for employees covered for WCB and Employee Benefits). These duties include:
- Maintaining comprehensive knowledge of the provisions, limitations, and interpretations of the University's insurance policies (including the self-insurance program).
- Liaising with various external parties including the Canadian Universities Reciprocal Insurance Exchange (CURIE), insurers, brokers, adjusters, and outside legal services when handling insurable matters.
- Leading the renewal negotiations of the University's insurance program - including analysis, evaluation and consistent improvement of the overall insurance program (including financial analysis of costs and coverages).
- Leading the annual property value analysis.
- Managing the University's insurance claims (excluding WCB claims and remittance for employees covered for WCB and benefits programs) including responding to requests for claims assistance from the University community on an on call basis (24/7/365) and reporting insurable claims to insurers, adjusters and their agent.
- Overseeing the provision of insurance certificates.
Assisting with budgeting, forecasting and year-end accounting and audit functions, including reconciliations and working papers for Self-Insurance Reserve, prepaid Account and Insurance Expense.
- Providing consultative advice on Risk and Insurance Management related issues.
- Working on special projects as directed by the Vice-President, Finance and Administration and the SDFS.
- Managing the University facility users' rental insurance program including reconciliation at year-end.
- Preparing and remitting the annual WCB contractor report.
What you'll need
To be the successful Manager, Risk and Insurance Services you will possess an undergraduate degree in Commerce or Business Administration and have completed a program in one (1) of the following professional industry designations or certifications: Canadian Risk Management (CRM) and/or Certified Insurance professional (CIP), combined with five (5) to seven (7) years of directly related experience. You demonstrate significant knowledge of various insurance markets along with mutual/reciprocal insurance programs and have progressive leadership experience including engaging staff in a collaborative and cohesive spirit in order to attain desired results. Above average interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with strong attention to detail; strong organizational skills; and a proficiency in Microsoft Office software and advanced skills in Excel will round out your success in this role. Experience dealing with complex property/liability claims and design of construction insurance programs will be considered assets.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on March 15, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's Univeristy promoties a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus
Advancement Information Integrity Specialist (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Security Officer (NSGEU Local 170)
Halifax, NS, CA
Two - Eight-Month Limited-Term Appointments - Dept. of Management
Halifax, NS, CA
Assistant Director, Student Culture and Experience (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Classics
Halifax, NS, CA