PLATO is Canada's only Indigenous-led, Indigenous staffed software testing services firm. We insist on working with quality people who share our passion for quality testing, and have built a team of people who also believe quality is the most important deliverable. Our team of software testing specialists believe that better software leads to a better world.
We are committed to building strong communities - PLATO trains and employs members of First Nations, Metis, and Inuit communities across the country and strives to build a network of 1000 Indigenous software testers across Canada. PLATO has offices on or near Indigenous communities across Canada, in Fredericton, Miramichi, Sault Ste Marie, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Victoria.
We are growing across Canada and looking for a strong Manager of software testing consultants to help us do that! This successful candidate will ideally be based in Sault Ste Marie; this is an exciting chance to experience the beauty of Northern Ontario. The region is nestled in Algoma county, surrounded by idyllic scenery native to the Canadian Shield, perfect for the outdoorsy types! Most importantly, this is a great place to grow and boost your experience in the testing industry. Come learn and grow in the Soo! Please note that this opportunity is on-site - those unwilling to relocate to Sault Ste. Marie need not apply.
Preference will be given to Indigenous applicants and people with experience working with candidates of First Nations, Métis, and Inuit backgrounds.
What you'll do
You will manage a small team (3-6 people) of software testing consultants delivering services to our clients, while also delivering on client assignments directly as a Senior Consultant.
- Coach and mentor a diverse team of testing professionals in improving their technical and consulting skills
- Motivate and manage employees as they provide attentive, efficient service to customers
- Assess employee performance and provide helpful feedback
- Identify activities to grow testing professionals
- Create customized training plans to address performance feedback and employee's goals
- Resolve conflicts or complaints from customers and employees
- Ensure team members follow company policies and procedures
- Promote corporate culture and values to provide a positive employee experience
- Facilitate regular team meetings to review progress, milestones, and goals
- Support recruiting efforts through interviews and active pursuit of testing professionals
- Aid in sales pursuits providing technical expertise
Senior Testing Responsibilities
- Conduct testing to align with client test methodologies
- Participate in defect triage
- Create test strategies and test plans
- Design test cases and test scenarios
- Track status of test team's progress
- Reporting status and metrics to clients and management
- Participate with clients in discussions of prioritizing testing activities
- Mentoring of junior resources on testing projects
What you'll need
- A university degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years' experience in software quality assurance
- Experience across several industry verticals
- Experience in manual and automation testing an asset
- 2+ years' experience as a people manager
- Managing diverse teams of varying backgrounds and cultures
- Managing remote teams is an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; able to communicate and simplify technical topics
- Active listening and problem-solving skills
- Conscientious and responsible
- Organizational and leadership skills
- Diverse testing experience is an asset (ex. ETL, Test Automation, Test Planning)
A little bit about us
Who We Are
PLATO is a software testing and technology services company trusted by clients around the world.
In addition to providing our clients the highest quality software testing services, PLATO is creating careers in technology for First Nations, Inuit, and Métis people from coast to coast to coast through our innovative train-and-employ model. Since 1997, we have been helping organizations all over the world reach their quality objectives by delivering scalable, proven, quality-centric managed services. Companies such as Apple, Suncor, TD Bank, Medavie, BCLC, LinkedIn, Boeing, and many others have gained considerable advantage from our Quality Assurance (QA), Testing, and eLearning expertise and experience.
We deliver specialized QA services to our clients with the goal of helping them increase profitability, boost customer satisfaction, manage development cycles and implement quality-centric solutions. We develop innovative approaches and solutions, designed to generate increased efficiencies, competitive advantage, and market share for our clients.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
At PLATO, we encourage our employees' personal career growth. We have plans in place to make sure that each employee is connected with a people manager to help guide them through their professional development, offer e-learning classes, and give our employees the opportunity to pursue software certifications for cutting-edge technologies.
PLATO respectfully acknowledges that our offices are located on treaty territories, unceded First Nations and Inuit territories, and part of Métis homelands. We honour their long history of welcoming many Nations to the beautiful Turtle Island and we actively work towards reconciliation between Métis, Inuit, and First Nation peoples and non-Indigenous people on this Land.
We contribute to proactive employment practices to promote inclusivity and diversity to those especially marginalized populations such as women, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples, and all other groups protected under the Human Rights Code.
We are committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in accordance with provincial legislation. Please let us know if you require accommodation during any aspect of the recruitment process and we will work with you to address your needs.