Position: Manager, Projects & Facility Planning (APC)
Department: Facilities Management
Annual Salary: $81,120 - $104,545 (Group 8)
Under the general direction of the Senior Director, Facilities Management, the Manager of Projects & Facility Planning is responsible for providing leadership and decision support in facility planning and capital project execution. This includes project feasibility, functional programming, financial management, design, construction, and post construction evaluation of all facility related projects performed at the University. This accounts for approximately $3 million per year in renovation and new construction. The Manager is also responsible for the management of space management, campus signage, campus furniture, campus décor and document records. Responsible to direct and manage a multitude of resources, including internal staff, external consultants, and building contractors.
What you'll do
Duties of the Manager, Projects & Facility Planning include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the development of principles and standards for space utilization and assigns space accordingly.
- Provides functional analysis and recommendations on existing and new space requirements.
- Maintains inventory of all space utilization, including computerized base plans for all buildings.
- Responsible for the development, maintenance and implementation of the Functional and Facility Master Plan.
- Supervises four (4) full-time staff, plus various part-time students, consultants and contractors. Interviews and recommends hiring of new employees.
- Monitors performance and provides day-to-day and periodic formal performance feedback.
- Evaluates and provides training and development opportunities to enhance performance levels and team participation.
- Resolves employee concerns either directly or through established grievance/complaint procedures; Initiates disciplinary action, recommends and justifies discharge where warranted.
- Responsible to oversee the financial management, planning, scope and quality of all facility and capital related projects for the University.
- Advises and provide direction to Project Facilitators in the selection of consultants for projects, and the methods of tendering and project delivery.
- Responsible for the maintenance and analysis of capital planning through dedicated software.
- Responsible for all capital project development, scope, design and construction.
- Directs the modification or addition of facilities to accommodate the programs of the University.
- Prepares architecture design and programming for the initial phase of project design.
- Directs the preparation of plans through to working drawings by means of consultation with users, administration, Facilities staff, equipment suppliers and consultants.
- Prepares cost estimates throughout the design development.
- Directs/produces construction drawings and specifications by University staff or in conjunction with mechanical, electrical, civil, architectural consultants resulting in the preparation of tender documents.
- Works in close cooperation with members of Facilities Management to ensure system compatibility of new projects and to co-ordinate efforts.
- Prepares schedules of project phases - functional review, design development, working drawing preparation, tender, construction and commissioning phases.
- Provides interim facilities for areas/departments undergoing renovations.
- Maintains project/facility drawings and asbestos inventory catalogue.
- Develops a monitoring and reporting system for projects.
- Adheres to building standards for building operations and construction. Includes ensuring adherence to the National Building Code, Fire Codes & Ordinances, Signage and Wayfinding programs and University standards.
- Maintains fiscal management of Capital Project Budgets and assigned Operational Budgets. Develops long-term Capital Plan and Annual Capital Project Plan. Manages the furniture budget and purchases of furniture.
- Handles the management of relocation and moves process of staff and department; handles signage including wayfinding
- Prepares policies and work practices as required.
- Completes projects and other duties as directed by the Director, Facilities Management
What you'll need
To be the successful Manager, Projects & Facility Planning you will possess a Bachelor Degree in Architecture or Engineering and professional designations with a minimum of five (5) years of directly related work experience in facility planning, construction work, and two (2) years supervisory experience. The successful candidate will have effective customer service skills and possess knowledge of functional programming, space planning, construction processes and project management. The ability to communicate effectively, work in a team environment and manage budgets will be essential to the position. Finally, the ability to develop appropriate cost effective design solutions and cost estimates, and the ability to manage all phases of projects from space programming through to construction and commissioning to produce efficient and cost effective facilities will round out your candidacy for this position.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
The search committee will begin to consider applications on December 16, 2019 and continue until the position is filled.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus.
Payroll Administrator (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Philosophy
Halifax, NS, CA
8-Month Limited Term Appointment - Geography
Halifax, NS, CA
Project Manager (9 Month Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Offensive Coordinator– Football (Contract until Dec 31, 2022)
Halifax, NS, CA