Reporting to the Senior Vice President, Head of Group Internal Audit, this position is responsible for performing and leading assigned financial, operational and management audits, assessing risks and the adequacy of internal controls, as well as ensuring that all Bank policies, laws and regulations are observed.
What you'll do
• Performing and leading audits and assigned auditors whilst carrying out regular internal audits, special investigations and special projects in accordance with the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing
• Designing and developing audit programmes to identify key risks and evaluate key controls
• Preparing and finalising audit reports for Executive and Departmental Management, as well as inclusion in reporting to the Audit, Compliance, Risk & Policy Committee of the Board
• Discussing findings with Department Head; following up to ensure recommendations or remedial action is taken, preparing record summaries and reporting delays to Audit Senior Management
• Providing expert advice to business units during the course of audits on control deficiencies and remedial recommendations
• Supporting fraud initiatives including training, investigations, providing statements to law enforcement, reporting as prescribed by legislation, and appearing as a witness as necessary
• Keeping up-to-date with developments and legislative changes in the Financial Services industry, corporate governance and the auditing profession
• Liaising with the external auditors prior to and during bank audits and the external auditors' annual audit of the Bank's financial accounts
What you'll need
• University degree in Accounting or Business and a professional qualification in external or internal audit (CA, CPA, ACA, FCA, CIA, CFE), plus eight years relevant post-qualification experience or equivalent
• Working knowledge of the International Standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing
• Sound knowledge and understanding of the financial and banking industry, including internal controls, bank policies, legal and regulatory requirements
• Ability to multi-task, prioritize and work toward strict deadlines
• Must have high ethical standards and the ability to build trusting relationships
• Excellent writing, project management, and consulting skills
• Must be results oriented and customer focused
• Ability to effectively communicate with Senior Management
• Proficient with spreadsheets and computer assisted audit tools and techniques
A little bit about us
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited
To be the leading independent offshore bank and trust company
To build relationships and wealth
Approachable - Collaborative - Empowered - Impactful
Butterfield is a full-service bank and wealth manager headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda, providing services to clients from Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey, where our principal banking operations are located, and The Bahamas, Switzerland, Singapore and the United Kingdom, where we offer specialized financial services. Banking services comprise deposit, cash management and lending solutions for individual, business and institutional clients. Wealth management services are composed of trust, private banking, asset management and custody. In Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Guernsey, we offer both banking and wealth management. In The Bahamas, Singapore and Switzerland, we offer select wealth management services. In the UK, we offer residential property lending. In Jersey, we offer select banking and wealth management services. Butterfield recently established a Support Services Centre in Halifax, NS. Butterfield is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB) and the Bermuda Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB.BH).
Butterfield in Halifax
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited provides centralized, shared services and support to the Butterfield Group in the areas of Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations, Client Services, and Compliance. Our team in Halifax is expanding to meet the growing and diverse needs of our businesses globally.
With more than 1,200 financial services professionals across ten international jurisdictions, the Butterfield experience is enhanced by robust learning and development opportunities, and comprehensive benefits. We provide a respectful environment where we value the diversity of our employees and the talents and experiences they bring to work. With a 160-year tradition of service excellence we empower individuals to achieve their potential and make a positive impact on our business, our clients and our communities.
To learn more about the Butterfield Group please visit www.butterfieldgroup.com.