Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) division and the Department of Health and Wellness. EMC also operates TeleHealth 811 for Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island for the Department of Health.
EMC delivers a high-quality comprehensive EHS and Telehealth services to Nova Scotians every day. We achieve this through more than 1,400 employees, including highly-trained paramedics, nurses, medical communication officers, and support staff.
As an employee of EMC, we are accountable to our patients and coworkers by participating in and supporting all safety-related initiatives and acting in a manner that fosters a culture that focuses on patient safety and a healthy, safe and respectful workplace.
What you'll do
This role reports to the Senior Manager, Communications and Public Relations and is responsible for developing communication strategies that support EMC and its operations. As Manager, Communications and Public Relations, you are responsible for developing communication strategies that support the provincial strategic business priorities and for providing leadership and execution on all day-to-day functions in your portfolio (internal communications, external communications, community relations, public education, etc.), as well as other related programs and best practices. You will be responsible for coaching, mentoring, and developing the Communications and Public Relations team through innovative and thoughtful leadership.
As a leader, you excel at developing and maintaining positive working relationships. You negotiate skillfully, make sound decisions, problem solve, and collaborate closely with your colleagues and clients to deliver on key Communications and Public Relations initiatives.
- Lead, develop, and support a strong, client-focused team of Communications and Public Relations professionals through effective coaching, team building and skills development
- Monitor and analyze key internal and external communications industry trends and data, formulate appropriate recommendations and insights that align with the needs and strategic goals of the business
- Work collaboratively with the Medavie/EMC leadership team on key Communications and Public Relations processes, programs, and policies
- Collaborate proactively with internal and external clients to plan for future Communications and Public Relations needs aligned with the business strategy
- Accountable for oversight of Communications and Public Relations requirements related to EMC's contracts and accreditations
- Identify opportunities to increase brand awareness and reputation
- Lead and provide oversight of day-to-day social media strategy
- Oversee response to media inquiries and developing strategic key messages/news releases
- Prepare for and engage key stakeholders for reactive (crisis management) and proactive (special event coverage/community involvement/profiles) communications
- Presentation development/support for leadership and stakeholders as needed
- Support design, writing and editing of large-scale reports (Annual Reports, Strategic Plans, etc.)
- Lead and support internal events and employee-focused initiatives (e.g. Paramedic Services Week, Telecommunications Week, Nurses Week)
- Oversee graphic design to ensure high-quality, properly branded visual materials when needed
What you'll need
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field, or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Five to seven years related experience in the Communications and Public Relations field, with at least three years leadership experience
- Proven ability to lead a team and work across divisional boundaries to oversee and develop communication strategies and plans
- Possess strong interpersonal skills, team player approach and ability to effectively communicate at all levels of the organization.
- Experience with internal communications best practices and communication processes
- Experience in health care sector is an asset
- Bilingualism (French and English) is an asset
- Regular business hours required, but some irregular hours can be expected.
A little bit about us
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC)
Emergency Medical Care Inc. (EMC) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Medavie Health Services (MHS) that manages and operates ground ambulance, air medical transport and the medical communications operations in Nova Scotia through a performance-based contract with the provincial government's Emergency Health Services (EHS) Operations division and the Department of Health and Wellness.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
What we offer:
- Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Opportunities for growing within
- Paid vacation and holidays
- Competitive employee benefits program
- Matching pension contribution program
- Complimentary parking
EMC falls under the Nova Scotia provincial protocol for mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination. In accordance with this mandate, subject to any approved accommodation, all new employees hired or existing employees (applying for new positions) will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. For clarity, "fully vaccinated" means 14 days or more after receiving the number of doses or combination of doses of a vaccine approved by Health Canada or local public health agencies in the jurisdiction in which they will be employed.
Our goal is to be a diverse workforce representing the citizens we serve. We are committed to building an inclusive team that represents a variety of backgrounds, cultures, races, perspectives and skills. We encourage applications from all qualified candidates, including women, persons of any sexual orientations and gender identities and/or expressions, Indigenous persons, African Canadians, other racialized groups, and persons with disabilities. Candidates who identify as being from any of these groups are encouraged to voluntarily self-identify.
If you are interested in this position and would like to be a part of a high-performing organization, please submit your cover letter and resume. Posting will stay open until position is filled.
We thank all applicants for applying, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.