The Maintenance Technician will provide a range of general maintenance, construction, and repair services throughout NSCAD University buildings. Working with the facilities staff and reporting to the Manager of Facilities, the position assists in performing various maintenance tasks and projects.
What you'll do
- Perform general interior and exterior maintenance including repairs, painting, minor plumbing, electrical and upgrades.
- Moving and relocation of office furniture and various inventory items.
- Delivers heavy or large packages from the Service Center as requested.
- Assists with monthly safety inspections including emergency lighting, clearing of fire exits, inspecting fire extinguishers. Technician must assume a role as Fire Warden.
- Ability to perform minor electrical repairs, i.e. re-lamping, ballasts, plug and switches, etc.
- Maintains and repairs various heating systems.
- Installs lock sets and cuts keys for the facility.
- Performs drywall repairs.
- Performs minor mechanical installations, i.e. window air conditioners, etc.
What you'll need
Completion of Grade 12 combined with at least five (5) years of related employment experience (or an equivalent combination of training and experience) is required. Ability to lift heavy objects is required. Valid driver's license with a clean driving record is required. Knowledge of provincial safety guidelines is required. Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to communicate with students, staff and faculty is required. A valid drivers licesne is required. Arrest Training, ladder training, and First Aid Training is preferred.
A little bit about us
NSCAD University (Nova Scotia College of Art and Design) is one of Canada's oldest independent cultural institutions and regarded as a principal center for education and research in visual culture in North America. NSCAD University offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in fine and media arts, craft, design, art history, art education and critical studies, as well as an ambitious array of Extended Studies courses. NSCAD University alumni are among the world's most highly regarded artists, gallery directors, designers, curators and art educators.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
The University will consider applicants until the position is filled. We appreciate all applicants, however only those selected to move forward in the competition will be contacted. This position is being advertised internally and externally concurrently. Bargaining unit employees for NSGEU Local 82 are given first consideration.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada will be given priority in this search. NSCAD university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, racially visible persons, persons with a disability, women, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community.