Location : Halifax, NS
Type of Employment: Full Time, Term up to 1 year
Union Status: IUOE Local 721B
Competition # MET 22119
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Under the direction of the Maintenance Supervisor, the Maintenance Person is responsible for carrying out material and equipment installations, renovations, repairs, and servicing in the following areas - carpentry, plumbing, heating, basic electrical, painting, ventilation, on properties, under the jurisdiction of NSPHA.
What you'll do
- Maintain properties under the jurisdiction of the Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency, including maintenance and repairs of walks, driveways, and parking areas.
- Carry out assessment and preventative maintenance to all assigned buildings, appliances, fixtures, utilities, and equipment in accordance with established standards, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain buildings and grounds in clean and proper order.
- Report any safety issues related to contractors engaged to carry out maintenance contracts to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Maintain and repair all aspects of the building envelope of NSPHA properties.
- Prepare and complete documentation such as work orders, vehicle reports, maintenance logs, inspection reports, and inventory records.
- Repair vacant units to make them rent-ready.
- Recommend the replacement or acquisition of equipment and materials.
- Others assigned duties.
What you'll need
- Grade 12 plus five years of experience in building and property maintenance or a related field is required. Must be able to perform standard tasks in carpentry, plumbing, heating, electrical, painting and drywall.
- Knowledge of residential building technology, basic knowledge of National Building Code and Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Ability to operate electrical tools, mechanical tools and perform physical tasks using good body mechanics.
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy, sound judgment and initiative when investigating, questioning, and dealing with inquiries, requests, and submissions.
- Possess a valid Nova Scotia driver's license and a good driving record.
- First Aid and WHMIS certifications.
- Knowledge of computer systems.
Competencies required at this level of work are Attention to Details, Teamwork, Interpersonal Skills, Client Orientation and Effective Interactive Communication.
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver's abstract, child abuse registry and confirmation of education credentials.
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience will be considered. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
We're looking for
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians.
We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that's right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners.
Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia's housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Based on the employment status, eligibility, and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Salary: $26.71 hourly
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
We are committed to employing staff who are representative of the diverse community we serve. If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Apply is through Career Beacon.
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.