Location: Halifax Regional Municipality
Type of Employment: Full Time, Term up to 1 year
Union Status: NSGEU Local 47
Competition # MET 23032
Closing Date: May 31, 2023
Under the direction of the Operations Manager, the Maintenance Clerk provides support to various departments during staff absences, vacations, or other temporary vacancies to address backlog in work orders. The incumbent is responsible for providing administrative and clerical support services to the department and to employees working in both maintenance and client services as well as the efficient running of the office. The incumbent is also responsible for accounts receivable, assisting with preparing and maintaining correspondence, documents and records as well as entering data in the NSPHA software system.
What you'll do
• Handle phone and walk-in inquiries from visitors, applicants, contractors and staff.
• Prepare, type and file assigned correspondence, reports, schedules and other documentation.
• Receive and record tenant complaints, prepare file actions/work orders and take other appropriate action as required.
• Maintain records and liaisons with appropriate individuals concerning maintenance services contracts such as pest control, burner service, plumbing, electrical, landscaping, snow removal and ice control and others as required.
• Process and track monthly payments received electronically, by mail and over the counter in the form of direct deposit, cash, cheques, money orders, debit, online and direct income assistance payments as well as maintain a system for podcasted cheque payments.
• Balance Daily receipts with deposit registers and summaries, preparing the daily deposits and safeguarding payments/deposits in accordance with established policies and procedures.
What you'll need
• Degree or Diploma in Business Administration or Secretarial, plus two years' related experience.
• Strong keyboarding skills with working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
• Excellent knowledge of office procedures and practices are required to maintain accurate and secure files, track, and follow-up information/report requests.
• Communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Experience in Yardi Property Management software
An equivalent combination of training, education and experience may be considered.
Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
If you are a team player, who is passionate about improving the lives of Nova Scotians, you are the candidate we are looking for to join our team. We will assess qualifications using one of more of the following tools: written examination, standardized tests, oral presentations, interview(s), and reference checks. Offer of employment is conditional upon the completion of all applicable background checks, the results of which must be satisfactory to the employer. Checks may include one or more of the following: criminal background checks, driver's abstract, and confirmation of education credentials.
A little bit about us
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency
Nova Scotia Provincial Housing Agency (NSPHA) is the provincial government agency responsible for the administration and delivery of affordable housing solutions for low-income Nova Scotians.
We contribute to the prosperity of Nova Scotia by helping individuals and families find a home that's right for them, at a price they can afford, in a healthy and vibrant community that offers the services, support and opportunities they need. We accomplish this by working closely with other levels of government as well as private and community partners.
Across its districts, NSPHA provides more than 11,200 safe, affordable homes as part of its Housing Services to seniors and families. District offices manage the day-to-day operations of Nova Scotia's housing stock. Their responsibilities include administering tenant applications and placements, collecting rent, resolving tenant issues, and maintaining and repairing properties.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Based on the employment status, eligibility and union agreement, the NSPHA offers its employees a wide range of benefits such as Health, Dental, Life Insurance, Pension, General Illness (Short and Long Term), Vacation and Employee and Family Assistance Programs and flexible working schedules.
Classification: CL 18
Salary Range: $23.24 to $26.00 hourly
Work Week: 35 hours
Note: This is not a Civil Service position.
We are committed to employing staff who are representative of the diverse community we serve. If you are a member of one or more of the following designated groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your cover letter or resume: Indigenous People, African Nova Scotians and Other Racially Visible Persons, Persons with Disabilities and Women in occupations or positions where they are under-represented. If you are a member of one of these equity groups, you are encouraged to self-identify on your application.
Please merge your cover letter and resume into one document when applying. In the cover letter or resume, please quote the competition number and name.
Our preferred method of applying is through Career Beacon.
Submissions must be received by midnight on the closing date. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.