Date Posted: May 3, 2023
Posting Deadline: Until filled
Department: Faculty of Science, Chemistry
Type of Employment: 8+1-month Contract, Full-time
Group Affiliation: SMUFU
At Saint Mary's University, you will be surrounded by a talented and dedicated team of professionals committed to accessibility, diversity, and the provision of a positive and supportive learning environment. We recognize the importance of the contribution and growth of each individual in the University's success. We are currently looking to fill the position of Limited Term Appointment at the Rank of Lecturer or Assistant Professor to join our Department of Chemistry team, commencing August 4, 2023 (8-month teaching contract with a 4-week paid preparatory period).
The Department of Chemistry offers a nationally accredited Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree program in Chemistry (Major and Honours). Undergraduate students are actively involved in faculty research and graduate students are enrolled in the in Applied Science Program at both the M.Sc. and Ph.D. levels.
Job Information and Responsibilities
Under the direction of the Dean of Science, the Lecturer or Assistant Professor will:
- Include primary teaching responsibilities of undergraduate classroom and laboratory instruction.
- Be anticipated to instruct in a combination of the following lectures and/or laboratories: General Chemistry I +II (labs), Organic Chemistry I+II (labs), and any other lectures or labs that may fit the successful candidates' expertise. Note: that teaching responsibilities may include evening and weekend laboratory sections.
- Have the opportunity to play an active role in the administrative life of the Department of Chemistry, the Faculty of Science, and the University in general.
Experience and Education Requirements
To be the successful Lecturer or Assistant Professor you will have:
- A M.Sc. or Ph.D. in Chemistry or a closely related discipline.
- A demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and have a record of research contribution.
Applicants will only provide a single PDF file containing:
- Cover letter,
- Curriculum vitae,
- A teaching dossier including a statement on teaching philosophy and any evidence of teaching effectiveness,
- Contact information for three individuals able to act as references.
Please send complete applications by e-mail to: Search Committee Department of Chemistry Saint Mary's University Halifax, Nova Scotia Email: [email protected] with the subject line: 2023 General and Organic Chemistry search (Please note: correspondence sent to any other address will be ignored).
The Selection Committee will begin considering applications on May 26, 2023, and will continue until the position is filled. We appreciate all applications and note that only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No telephone calls please.
At Saint Mary's University, equity and diversity are integral to excellence and enrich our community. As an institution committed to fostering an environment of inclusion and respect, we encourage all qualified candidates to apply; however, preference will be given to applicants who self-identify as Black/African Nova Scotians, Indigenous peoples, racialized persons/visible minorities, persons with disabilities and women. If you require accommodations during the recruitment process, please contact [email protected].
A little bit about us
Saint Mary's University - Faculty Employment Opportunities
Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's top primary undergraduate universities--known for its international collaborations, leadership in entrepreneurship, and research that benefits local and global communities. Our programs in Arts, Science, Graduate Studies and the Sobey School of Business are among Canada's best and feature professors who are committed to the success of their students. Saint Mary's provides our 7,000 students with a place that fosters possibility, excellent research opportunities, and distinguished graduate and professional programs combined with a caring community. Nestled in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada's east coast, Saint Mary's University is marked by iconic buildings, green spaces and fresh ocean air. The Saint Mary's University community is committed to a prosperous future for the world-a world without limits.