Acadia seeks an experienced Lab Technician for the Acadia Laboratory for Agri-food & Beverage (ALAB) to perform chemical analysis testing services, and to support daily lab operations and research projects. This position is a continuing employment opportunity that is externally funded, and the continuation of this appointment will be subject to external funding.
ALAB is a fee-for-service analytical lab that provides state-of-the-art analytical services to the wine, craft beverage and food industries in Atlantic Canada. With some of the best institutional infrastructure of its kind in Canada, ALAB opened in June 2017 to test parameters related to product quality and safety for the agri-food and beverage industry. Specific responsibilities of the job will include:
- Perform accurate chemical analyses on beverage (alcoholic and nonalcoholic) and food-related products for ALAB's clients.
- Perform routine maintenance and minor repairs on laboratory instrumentation such as GC/MS/MS, HPLC, UV-Vis spectrophotometer, Skalar San++ continuous flow analyzer, FOSS Winescan SO2, turbidity meter, yeast counter, and other instruments.
- Validation of methods and equipment.
- Prepare standards and calibrate instruments.
- Execute all aspects of data collection and data management.
- Maintain the Quality Assurance System.
- Support the ISO 17025 accreditation process, including writing SOPs.
- Method development as required.
- Coordinate inventory of supplies.
- Manage client samples, including collection, receiving samples, storage, processing, and disposal.
- Work closely with the Wine Quality Specialist on interpretation of analysis results.
- Assist in supervision of co-op and undergraduate students.
- A Masters in analytical chemistry or related discipline with 3+ years of laboratory experience in chemical testing, or a BSc with 5+ years' experience.
- Hands-on experience with GC/MS and HPLC as well as familiarity with the ALAB equipment listed above.
- Preference will be given to applicants with experience in GC/MS method development.
- Quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) and/or GLP/ISO 17025 experience.
- Knowledge and hands-on experience with chemical solution and standards preparation, testing, calibration and quality assurance procedures, methods and equipment.
- Proficiency in basic computer applications, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and an understanding of Lab Information Management Systems (LIMS).
- The ability to work independently, as well as effectively in a team environment, and adhere to all safety regulations and operating procedures.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow with attention to detail.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with analytical food and beverage testing is consider an asset.
THE REWARDS: Acadia offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefit package.To see more information on why Acadia is an employer of choice, please visit our website at: https://hr.acadiau.ca.
TO APPLY: To apply for this opportunity, click on the "Apply Now" button and upload your cover letter, resume, and professional references. For further information or to request a detailed job description, please contact Jennifer Veinot at [email protected]. Consideration of applications will continue until a successful candidate has been identified.
Please be advised that only those invited for an interview will be contacted. The University reserves the right not to fill this position. A six-month eligibility list may be established from this competition to fill future vacancies for identical positions.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Acadia University is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from Aboriginal people, African Nova Scotians, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women, and persons of any minority sexual orientation or gender identity. Consistent with the principles of employment equity, the primary criterion for appointment to a position is qualifications and professional excellence. Candidates who identify as a member of one of the afore-mentioned groups, and who wish to have the application considered as such, are invited to submit the online Employment Equity Voluntary Self-Identification Form as part of their application package.
The university will provide support in its recruitment processes to applicants with disabilities, including accommodation that takes into account an applicant's accessibility needs. If you require accommodation because of a disability or for any other reason during the interview process, please contact [email protected].
A little bit about us
Acadia University, located in Mi'kma'ki, the ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq nation, is one of Canada's leading primarily undergraduate institutions. For over 180 years, Acadia has been providing students with a learning environment that ensures they have every opportunity to succeed in life. Our graduates emerge with the tools required to be global citizens and community leaders. Acadia's faculty and staff are key to our institutional success and share a commitment to provide our students with a high quality post-secondary education. As a staff member, you will be part of this transformational educational experience where innovation is encouraged, and your ideas are welcomed.
Acadia University is located only one hour from the city of Halifax in Nova Scotia's beautiful Annapolis Valley in the Town of Wolfville. Wolfville offers residents an affordable lifestyle, outstanding recreational opportunities, internationally acclaimed restaurants, a healthy economy, and the best weather in the Atlantic provinces. The Town of Wolfville is one of the fastest-growing communities in Nova Scotia where people find the perfect mix of small-town livability and urban energy. It's a place that people love to live, and those who do not live here love to visit.
To see more information on why Acadia is an employer of choice, please visit our website at www.hr.acadiau.ca.