Based in Halifax, this position reports to the Senior Compliance Analyst in the Halifax Office and will be responsible for providing support across a variety of functions including compliance validation testing, regulation, investigations, monitoring and surveillance, and customer due diligence. Day-to=day supervision will be provided by the Halifax AVP, Country Compliance Officer. The Compliance department ensures that the Bank complies with all applicable laws and regulations in the jurisdictions it operates, and it plays an essential role in helping to preserve the integrity and reputation of our business. It is responsible for establishing regulatory policies within the Bank and monitoring changes in economic conditions and regulatory requirements keeping Butterfield is up-to-date with the latest thinking.
What you'll do
• Assisting with queries from senior members of the Compliance team, as well as law enforcement and regulatory authorities.
• Supporting the review of client on-boarding practices and documentation.
• Reviewing data analytics to ensure monitoring and surveillance requirements are undertaken.
• Assisting with data analytics and related research to enhance the quality assurance reviews undertaken by Compliance.
• Supporting communication of compliance and risk management standards to internal clients.
• Assisting with improving data quality.
• Assisting compliance validation testing and spot checks as assigned based on agreed parameters, as well as engaging with business partners on identified areas of concern and producing reports accordingly.
• Assisting with identification of data quality issues and providing recommendations for resolutions.
• Notifying management of any standards not being met.
• Supporting regulatory projects, including gap analysis between regulation/policy and practice, tracking regulatory findings and ad hoc requests from the regulator.
What you'll need
• Minimum of two years' Compliance or Financial Crime experience.
• Ability to promptly and appropriately escalate to management any risks and/or failure of standards to be met.
• Good communication skills, both written and spoken (primary language English) with relevant internal stakeholders on Compliance or Financial Crime standards.
• Ability to analyse reports, identify failings and to notify same together with recommendations for remediation.
• Ability to produce and maintain reliable recordkeeping arrangements of activities undertaken, ensuring such records meet internal and external requirements.
• Proven ability to operate effectively in a team environment.
• Good analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to multi-task and work to tight deadlines
• High ethical standards with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with absolute discretion
A little bit about us
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited
To be the leading independent offshore bank and trust company
To build relationships and wealth
Approachable - Collaborative - Empowered - Impactful
Butterfield is a full-service bank and wealth manager headquartered in Hamilton, Bermuda, providing services to clients from Bermuda, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey and Jersey, where our principal banking operations are located, and The Bahamas, Switzerland, Singapore and the United Kingdom, where we offer specialized financial services. Banking services comprise deposit, cash management and lending solutions for individual, business and institutional clients. Wealth management services are composed of trust, private banking, asset management and custody. In Bermuda, the Cayman Islands and Guernsey, we offer both banking and wealth management. In The Bahamas, Singapore and Switzerland, we offer select wealth management services. In the UK, we offer residential property lending. In Jersey, we offer select banking and wealth management services. Butterfield recently established a Support Services Centre in Halifax, NS. Butterfield is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB) and the Bermuda Stock Exchange (symbol: NTB.BH).
Butterfield in Halifax
Butterfield Support Services (Halifax) Limited provides centralized, shared services and support to the Butterfield Group in the areas of Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Information Technology, Operations, Client Services, and Compliance. Our team in Halifax is expanding to meet the growing and diverse needs of our businesses globally.
With more than 1,200 financial services professionals across ten international jurisdictions, the Butterfield experience is enhanced by robust learning and development opportunities, and comprehensive benefits. We provide a respectful environment where we value the diversity of our employees and the talents and experiences they bring to work. With a 160-year tradition of service excellence we empower individuals to achieve their potential and make a positive impact on our business, our clients and our communities.
To learn more about the Butterfield Group please visit www.butterfieldgroup.com.