Closing Date: February 15, 2024 at 4:00 PM
STUDENT AFFAIRS & SERVICES
Student Affairs & Services (SAS) supports students in achieving their academic, personal, and life goals. In keeping with this, SAS develops and delivers a wide range of programs and services that enhance and contribute to the student experience and the learning environment. Individually and collectively, SAS Divisions contribute directly to the University's goal of transformative educational experiences, innovative programs, and commitment to experiential learning.
WHAT WE OFFER
Full-time | Continuing | Saint John | On-Campus
Standard Work Hours: Mon - Fri | 8:15 am - 4:30 pm | 36.25 hours per week
Additional Working Conditions:
- Working evenings and weekends at peak times will be required.
Salary Range: $49,060 - $63,775 per annum
Reporting to the Director, International Student Advisor's Office, the International Student & Arrival Advisor provides specialized and high-level professional support to UNB's international student population.
- Meet with international students online/in person to provide assistance, advice, and referrals to relevant campus services or departments.
- Develop and conduct workshops and outreach material (flyers, recordings, information series, etc.) on relevant topics to the international student population.
- Collaborate on organizing recurrent student orientation sessions/events for Fall, Winter and Spring intakes.
- Design, plan and execute student events to help international students integrate on campus and into the local New Brunswick community and to celebrate campus diversity and talents.
- Liaise with UNB departments to identify and address the needs and concerns of the international student population.
- Create and deliver a comprehensive pre-arrival program to all accepted UNB international students to ensure that students arrive well-informed about UNB processes and services.
- Research new and innovative ways of international student engagement on campus and integration between international and domestic students.
- Hire, train and supervise new staff.
- Collaborate closely with UNB Fredericton's immigration advisor on collectively addressing the immigration needs of UNB's international student population.
- Develop and conduct immigration workshop sessions (in-person or online).
- Meet and advise international students on their immigration questions (initial study permit/study permit extension, entry visas and work permits). Limited immigration support may be provided to students' accompanying family members.
- Liaise with provincial and federal stakeholders on organizing immigration pathway sessions.
WHAT YOU BRING
- A University degree, preferably with an international focus.
- 1 - 2 years of experience, ideally working in an academic setting/with an international population.
- Must be in good standing with College of Immigration of Citizenship Consultants (or willingness to complete) the accreditation of a Regulated International Student Immigration advisor (RISIA).
- Knowledge of Canadian immigration law, policies, regulations and procedures concerning international students is considered a strong asset.
- Lived experience as an international student is an asset.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills are essential.
- Knowledge of basic counselling techniques.
- Extensive experience using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to prioritize multiple and diverse tasks.
- Ability to work independently and effectively.
- Understanding and recognition of the value and importance of cultural diversity.
Look for yourself
A little bit about us
University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick employs more than 3,200 full- and part-time staff, including faculty, support staff and students. UNB values people and we have proudly been named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2024 and one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers for 2023.
UNB is situated on the unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik and Mi'kmaq peoples along the banks of the beautiful and bountiful Wolastoq river, a region recognized worldwide for its natural beauty. UNB is a comprehensive university with a long history of excellence in teaching and research.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
WHY CHOOSE UNB?
UNB offers a large variety of benefits for employees, including a full pension, a minimum of three weeks of vacation annually, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), and dental, life, and health insurance.
PROFESSIONAL & TECHNICAL STAFF UNION (PTSU)
This position is part of the PSAC, Local 60551 employee group and falls under the PTSU Collective Agreement.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
We thank all who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.