Position: Instructional Resources Assistant (Maternity Leave Replacement) (NSGEU Local 79)
Department: The Language Centre (TLC)
Salary: $33,383 - $38,202 (Group 4)
Under the general supervision of the Academic Services Manager, the Instructional Resources Assistant operates The Language Centre (TLC) Library and provides support to the instructors, staff and students of TLC.
What you'll do
Duties as the Instructional Resources Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- Ensuring database is up to date and physical collection is properly coded for use.
- Conducting inventories of collection items; mending items that need repair, withdrawing dated/worn materials and liaising with UPS to ship discards to online bookseller.
- Shelving material according to TLC Collection classification.
- Creating quarterly reference orders for TLC and yearly reference order for Patrick Power Library TLC collection.
- Liaising with SMU bookstore, publisher representatives, as directed on purchase and delivery.
- Filling out purchase order forms, or using SMU credit card, and retrieving items from the University Bookstore when items arrive. Maintaining record of receipts and reconciles credit card statement on a monthly basis.
- Maintaining social media pages and responding to comments and/or questions posted to centre pages.
- Planning and conducting library orientations each semester and upon request.
- Creating and publishing posters and handout material.
- Providing assistance to users in locating items; users include instructors, students, and staff.
- Checking in/out items to students, instructors, and staff. Emptying and processing items left in book drop.
- Distributing recalls of overdue items as required. Sending notices to individuals that still have items checked out.
- Creating TLC Library cards and assigning barcodes to patrons.
- Collecting money for lost items; providing receipts and placing/removing financial HOLDs on Banner.
- Maintaining, updating and backing up digital database.
- Ordering textbook material for classes each IEP semester (every 8 weeks for 6 semesters/year) and for contract groups as required. Creating class lists and bookstore orders using Excel spreadsheet.
- Liaising with publishers reps about obtaining desk copies of textbooks and/or finding out information on items.
- Providing instructors with textbook material for use including audio/visual accompaniments and instructor manuals.
- Maintaining records of textbook use.
- Answering student questions about their accounts; booking computer lab times.
- Developing and implementing computer orientations every eight (8) weeks.
- Assisting new staff/students with activation of their accounts, email and connections to TLC and SMU printers.
- Providing assistance if ITSS equipment is not working. Liaising with Classroom Support if problem persists.
- Coordinating, scheduling and distribute class lab times; rescheduling and cancelling lab times as needed.
- Maintaining, troubleshooting and assisting students with four (4) computers and printer in TLC Library with routine issues and escalating more complicated issues to ITSS.
- Assisting students with online registration in TLC library.
- Liaising with relevant staff/stakeholders to troubleshoot test-taker registration and other issues.
- Purchasing and maintaining USB headsets as needed.
- Assisting with registration and invigilation on testing days as needed.
- Assisting the Academic Services Manager with recruiting, interviewing and hiring student assistants as needed.
- Scheduling student assistants for shifts and completing payroll.
- Training student assistants in use of library database, circulation, and daily library maintenance.
- Assigning daily duties; reviewing and retraining as necessary.
What you'll need
To be the successful Instructional Resources Assistant you will have graduated High school graduation and have a one (1) year community college diploma with a minimum of one (1) year of related experience. You demonstrate excellent computer skills with experience working with Microsoft Office Suite, library databases and/or formal library training. You will further possess proven customer service and organizational skills along with experience working in a multicultural environment. Experience in library environment will be considered an asset.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: July 2, 2019 Competition Closes: July 12, 2019
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a scent free environment and is proud to be tobacco-free as of September 1, 2013
Project Manager (1 Year Contract)
Halifax, NS, CA
Administrative Support - Graduate Career Services (Casual Position)
Halifax, NS, CA
Institutional Researcher (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
Manager, Projects & Facility Planning (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA
Executive Assistant to the President (APC)
Halifax, NS, CA