Closing Date: December 1, 2023 at 4:00 PM
DEPARTMENT OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
UNB is creating a new research centre for resilient infrastructure (RCRI). The RCRI is a multi-disciplinary research centre that will empower New Brunswick's infrastructure owners with the information, knowledge, and expertise to make evidence-based decisions, adapt to long-term challenges, and improve our understanding of the connection between infrastructure and society.
WHAT WE OFFER
Full-time | 1-Year Term | Fredericton | Hybrid
UNB is committed to ensuring employees can maintain a healthy work-life balance. As such, we are proud to support a hybrid work approach, which includes flexible hours and work-from-home options.
Standard Work Hours: Mon - Fri | 8:15 am - 4:30 pm | 36.25 hours per week
Additional Working Conditions:
- Ability to travel nationally up to 20 days annually.
- Ability to work flexible hours (e.g., evening events) as needed.
Salary Range: $66,834 - $86,881 per annum
Reporting to the Department Chair, the Innovation Director provides leadership in the growth and development of the RCRI and manages all operational staff, budgets, operations, and supports the mandate of collaborative research.
- Lead the development and execution of the strategic plan in collaboration with the Centre's Board and Research Director.
- Create a schedule and budget to successfully implement the strategic plan.
- Manage and track all financials related to the Centre, including quarterly updates to the Board.
- Pursue funding from research partners to make the Centre financially sustainable.
- Supervise support staff and liaise with UNB service departments to support collaborative efforts.
- Prepare proposals for, market to, and network with private and public partner organizations to manage the entire client engagement process.
- Develop new research proposals. Provide advice on technical and commercial opportunities and challenges.
- Identify opportunities for a fee for service, research and development, and training for industry partners.
- Liaise with other UNB departments and faculties to utilize in-house expertise wherever possible.
- Network with global experts at other universities and research institutions to obtain additional expertise on specific initiatives undertaken by the Centre.
- Organize joint industry-research seminars, conferences and events.
- Lead the communications strategy to attract additional capacity and project investment in the Centre.
WHAT YOU BRING
- A university degree in engineering, business or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in architecture, engineering, construction or a related field.
- Intimate knowledge of the Canadian infrastructure industry and its principal players.
- A professional designation is expected.
- Experience in the university research environment.
- Experience in innovation, people management, communications and project management.
- A graduate degree in research, engineering, business or a related field is considered a strong asset.
- Intimate knowledge of the Canadian infrastructure industry and its principal players is a prerequisite.
- Experience in the university research environment is considered a strong asset.
- Ability to connect practice with research.
- Ability to manage personnel and maintain HR best practices.
- Strong communication and public speaking skills.
A little bit about us
University of New Brunswick
The University of New Brunswick employs more than 3,200 full- and part-time staff, including faculty, support staff and students. UNB values people and we have proudly been named as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2024 and one of Atlantic Canada's Top Employers for 2023.
UNB is situated on the unceded territory of the Wolastoqiyik and Mi'kmaq peoples along the banks of the beautiful and bountiful Wolastoq river, a region recognized worldwide for its natural beauty. UNB is a comprehensive university with a long history of excellence in teaching and research.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
WHY CHOOSE UNB?
UNB offers a large variety of benefits for employees, including a full pension, a minimum of three weeks of vacation annually, the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP), and dental, life, and health insurance.
PROFESSIONAL & TECHNICAL STAFF UNION (PTSU)
This position is part of the PSAC, Local 60551 employee group and falls under the PTSU Collective Agreement.
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY, DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
We thank all who apply; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.