The Scotiabank Centre, managed by Events East Group, is the largest multipurpose facility in Atlantic Canada, serving as the region's premier venue for major entertainment and sporting events and the nucleus of major event activity in Nova Scotia. Having hosted the world's top performers, homegrown talent, best in class athletes and many performers in between, Scotiabank Centre has been a source for community vibrancy and pride for over 35 years. With a seating capacity of more than 10,000 and the versatility to accommodate a range of events, Scotiabank Centre hosts close to 500,000 attendees each year and is home to the Halifax Mooseheads, Halifax Thunderbirds Lacrosse and the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo.
The Scotiabank Centre is now inviting applications for the position of Ice Technician within our Property Services team.
The Ice Technician is responsible for a variety of day-to-day ice operations while maintaining a high standard for our clients before, during, and after ice-related events, along with other maintenance and operational duties as required. The typical ice season runs from the beginning of September to May each year, however this position will offer work in a year-round capacity assisting with other facility operations.
THE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all duties with a superior commitment to safe work practices and actively participate in workplace safety initiatives.
- Assist in all aspects of arena ice preparation and resurfacing, including scraping, flooding, and preparation/operation of an Ice Resurfacer (Zamboni) and an Ice Edger.
- Install and remove hockey nets between game periods, with regular inspection and maintenance of the nets.
- Regularly inspect, clean, and occasionally replace protective glass around the ice surface.
- Assist with the painting of points, lines, and logos on the ice surface.
- Facility preventative maintenance, repairs, and other property support duties during the off season (absence of ice operations).
- Grade 12 or equivalent education.
- Valid NS Class 5 driver's license.
- A minimum of 1 year experience with the operation of ice resurfacing equipment OR
- A minimum of 1 year of experience operating heavy or mobile equipment.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Must be able to work shifts including evenings, weekends and overnight when required.
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Indigenous persons and persons from the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
Applicants are advised testing may be a component of the selection process. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires accommodation should discuss their needs, in confidence, with the Recruiter when selected.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com
A little bit about us
We manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic. Created as part of a government partnership between the Province of Nova Scotia and Halifax Regional Municipality, we work in collaboration with them to manage our business in a responsible and transparent manner.
We were established in 2014 through legislation to operate, maintain and manage the activities of the Halifax Convention Centre in a manner that will promote and develop economic development, tourism and industry in the Province generally, and the Municipality.
Effective April 1, 2017, our mandate expanded to include the continued management and operations of Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic, formerly under Trade Centre Limited (TCL).
Our facilities and the events we attract are platforms for prosperity. Whether we’re attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
MISSION: WE CONNECT THE WORLD TO NOVA SCOTIA BY CREATING MEMORABLE EVENT EXPERIENCES.
VISION: OUR PEOPLE AND OUR COMMUNITY MAKE US THE FAVOURED EVENT DESTINATION FOR OUR GUESTS.