The Scotiabank Centre, managed by Events East Group, is the largest multipurpose facility in Atlantic Canada, serving as the region's premier venue for major entertainment and sporting events and the nucleus of major event activity in Nova Scotia. Having hosted the world's top performers, homegrown talent, best in class athletes and many performers in between, Scotiabank Centre has been a source for community vibrancy and pride for over 35 years. With a seating capacity of more than 10,000 and the versatility to accommodate a range of events, Scotiabank Centre hosts close to 500,000 attendees each year and is home to the Halifax Mooseheads, Halifax Thunderbirds Lacrosse and the Royal Nova Scotia International Tattoo.
The Scotiabank Centre is now inviting applications for the position of Ice Technician within our Property Services team.
The Ice Technician is responsible for a variety of day-to-day ice operations while maintaining a high standard for our clients before, during, and after ice related events, along with other maintenance and operational duties as required. The typical ice season runs from the beginning of September to May each year.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure safe operation of an Ice Resurfacer (Zamboni) and an Ice Edger.
- Maintenance of ice resurfacing equipment (Zamboni).
- Maintenance of arena boards, nets and glass including the replacement of glass or repairs to boards.
- Facility preventative maintenance, repairs and other property support duties during the off season (absence of ice operations).
Education & Experience
- Grade 12
- Valid NS Class 5 drivers License
- A minimum of 3 years' experience with the operation of ice resurfacing equipment.
- Valid WHMIS, Emergency First Aid, CPR Accreditation or willingness to obtain
- Must have a good attendance and work record
- Must have excellent customer service skills
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of ice making and use of a Resurfacer on different ice surfaces, hockey, figure skating, curling, etc.
- Knowledge of arena ice making, resurfacing and maintenance.
- Knowledge of ice painting, application of logos and other event specific requirements.
- Knowledge of ice refrigeration system.
- Must be able to work shifts to include evenings, weekends and overnight when required.
- Must be physically capable of performing required duties.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Knowledge of ice resurfacing equipment maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of the production and maintenance of a high-quality ice surface at an elite level.
- Good interpersonal skills dealing with the public and co-workers.
- General facility maintenance (ex. carpentry, drywall repairs and painting).
Events East is committed to a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women in non-traditional positions, persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons from the LGBTQ+ community. We encourage applicants to self-identify.
Applicants are advised testing may be a component of the selection process. Any applicant invited to participate in testing or an interview and who requires an accommodation should discuss their needs, in
confidence, with the Recruiter when selected.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit cover letter and resume via Career Beacon.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for interview will be contacted.
For further information, please visit our website at www.eventseast.com
A little bit about us
We manage and operate the Halifax Convention Centre, Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic. Created as part of a government partnership between the Province of Nova Scotia and Halifax Regional Municipality, we work in collaboration with them to manage our business in a responsible and transparent manner.
We were established in 2014 through legislation to operate, maintain and manage the activities of the Halifax Convention Centre in a manner that will promote and develop economic development, tourism and industry in the Province generally, and the Municipality.
Effective April 1, 2017, our mandate expanded to include the continued management and operations of Scotiabank Centre and Ticket Atlantic, formerly under Trade Centre Limited (TCL).
Our facilities and the events we attract are platforms for prosperity. Whether we’re attracting large delegations or hosting an elite group of athletes for an international competition, we are a catalyst for new opportunities and connections between Nova Scotia and the world.
MISSION: WE CONNECT THE WORLD TO NOVA SCOTIA BY CREATING MEMORABLE EVENT EXPERIENCES.
VISION: OUR PEOPLE AND OUR COMMUNITY MAKE US THE FAVOURED EVENT DESTINATION FOR OUR GUESTS.