Position: Housing & Residence Life Representative (Maternity Leave Contract until December 2020)
Department: Housing & Conference Services
Salary: $37,000 - $42,000 + 4% in lieu vacation
Under the supervision of the Director, Housing & Conference Services, the Housing & Residence Life Representative functions as the initial point of contact for all clients of the Department of Housing and Conference Services and provides extensive administrative support for the department. Processes applications for all forms of residence accommodation for all terms and provides customer service to clients, in person, and via telephone and e-mail. Ensures the proper receipt and processing of all cash deposits and payments and approved refunds of the same. Prepares payroll for student employees and manages the departmental petty cash and purchasing cards. Receives and imputes all non-academic, internal room bookings
What you'll do
Duties as the Housing & Residence Life Representative include, but not limited to:
- Receives applications over-the-counter and by mail, fax, email, from students, the Admissions Office, the TESL Centre, the Masters of Finance (MFIN) Office, University coaches and recruiters, etc. In addition manages residence applications submitted on-line via the residence portal process.
- Processes the wide variety of applications pertaining to all available housing options for all terms, year-round including single student, senior apartments, Masters of Finance apartments and Family, Graduate Housing apartments and special groups such as TESL and non-SMU students (i.e. NSCAD) (approximately 5000/year) for the academic year and both summer sessions.
- Regularly monitors Housing Portal to ensure compliance with non-discrimination policy and reports any violation.
- Enters student data into a departmental database (StarRez) and maintains residence waiting lists and alphabetical lists etc.
- Co-ordinates and prepares email merges of residence acceptance and wait list packages. Prepares and emails acceptance letters, and room placement packages. Prepares registration forms and conducts room draws as required.
- Prepares leases; schedules lease-signing, inspections and viewing; witnesses lease signing. Processes cancellations, adjustments, no-shows, withdrawals, and terminations
- Receives and processes room and roommate change requests. Manages room changes, establishing priority, communicates with students, modifies StarRez bookings, and makes recommendations to the Director.
- Co-ordinates all arrivals/departures, arranges for room readiness, schedules inspections. This includes all exception management around early arrival and late departures.
- Collects and maintains confidential medical information pertaining to students who require special housing accommodation. Provides personal tours of residence to students with disabilities to assess special needs
- Represents the initial point of contact for clients of the Residence Department including students, prospective students, parents, internal University departments and stakeholders, commercial tenants, and external customers from the greater Halifax community and assists, directs or refers as appropriate.
- Initiates contact with clients to follow-up on inquiries, offer rooms, clarify information submitted, and request missing information, fees, deposits and contracts.
- Collects and distributes materials such as forms, posters, surveys, evaluations, mail, Residence Assistant applications, Notice of Fine appeals etc.
- Receives, records, and reconciles all payments including application fees, confirmation deposits, damage deposits, damage recovery and student conduct fines and other miscellaneous cash payments. Prepares daily deposits including counting, balancing, reconciling and submitting to Financial Services. Issues written receipts for approximately 20 departmental accounts.
- Processes refunds of confirmation deposits and damage deposits and prepares refund requests for Financial Services. Maintains damage deposit spreadsheet for annual reconciliation. Verifies meal plan additions, changes and withdrawals
- Holder of University Purchasing Card on behalf of the Housing and Conference Services Department. Reconciles monthly card holder statements and submits to the Director, Housing and Conference Services, for approval. Orders office supplies, maintains inventory of office supplies within departmental stationary budget. Verifies orders and forwards all documentation to Accounts Payable
- Uses word processing and other software to create a variety of documents from drafts. Utilizes e-mail, database management and report writing software (StarRez), Internet Native Banner (INB), and Pre-Authorized Payment (PAP) software
- Operates office equipment and coordinates routine maintenance; arranges for service as necessary.
- Other duties as required
What you'll need
To be the successful Housing & Residence Life Representative you will have completed high school plus a one-year Community College business course and a minimum of one (1) years of related experience. The successful candidate will be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access), database management, and Microsoft Outlook. You will have excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills and have demonstrated experience and excellent with typing, data entry, and mail merge. Further, you will have experience handling cash and balancing. Experience with StarRez. Internet native Banner (INB), and website maintenance experience will all be considered assets.
A little bit about us
Saint Mary’s University
Founded in 1802, Saint Mary's University is one of Canada's oldest and leading institutions of higher learning and has evolved into a vibrant and engaged community of students, faculty, staff, and alumni from more than 100 countries around the world. Saint Mary's University is home to one of Canada's leading business schools, a Science Faculty widely known for its cutting-edge research, a comprehensive and innovative Arts Faculty and a vibrant Faculty of Graduate Studies and Research.
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada. Visit our web site at www.smu.ca.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Apply for this opportunity online by visiting www.smu.ca/employment and use our online application system through CareerBeacon. Select the position you are interested in and apply by clicking the "Apply Online Now" button. Please include the names of three professional references. No telephone calls please.
Competition Opens: February 7, 2020 Competition Closes: February 21, 2020
Saint Mary's University hires on the basis of merit and is committed to the principles of employment equity. Saint Mary's University encourages applications from qualified women, visible minorities, Aboriginal people, and people with disabilities. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.
Saint Mary's University thanks all applicants for applying. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Saint Mary's University promotes a Healthy Campus including a Scent-Free environment and a Smoke-Free Campus