We have some VERY exciting news at MC! In September 2023, FOUR of our Halifax Legal Assistants will be going to Law School. WOW! We are so proud of these four members of our MC family and wish them well in the next stage of their legal careers. As a result, we are searching for new talent to join us within our Litigation and Labour & Employment teams in Halifax.
If you are an experienced legal administrative professional looking for a new and exciting opportunity, we'd love to chat with you!
McInnes Cooper is seeking motivated and proactive Legal Assistants to join our Legal Services team in our Halifax office for a full-time permanent position. The incumbent will be responsible for providing high quality administrative support for a group of lawyers within an innovative team support model; working to ensure all clients receive the highest level of service.
As a Legal Assistant, you will be responsible for:
- Demonstrating a team approach while supporting and standing in for colleagues during absences; strive to achieve outputs and goals for the department and firm as a whole;
- Ensuring our lawyers' practices are organized efficiently, and that clients' expectations are consistently exceeded;
- Providing general administrative support including (not limited to) document preparation, calendar management, responding to inquiries, accounting and billing;
- Being creative, sharing ideas, learning from others and sharing your skills and knowledge; and,
- Challenging yourself and your team every day; and having fun while doing so!
The successful candidate will possess the following skill set:
- The ideal candidate will have a Paralegal or Legal Administration diploma or other related education;
- Minimum 2 years experience as a Legal Assistant or Paralegal preferably within the Labour & Employment and/or Litigation fields;
- Excel in a demanding, high-paced team environment, be highly detail-oriented, and flexible to changing priorities;
- Exceptional technology skills, with proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Office and a genuine interest in keeping up to date with the newest technology;
- Exceptional communication skills, a special focus on client service and the highest degree of professionalism; and,
- A positive attitude and enjoy working in a collaborative team environment.
Our team members have access to:
- Defined-benefit pension plan;
- Firm-paid health and dental benefits;
- Health spending account;
- Personal spending account;
- Time for you:
- Including vacation, personal and sick days.
- Balancing life:
- Work from home / Flex work options available for many team members.
- Our Team - we can't say enough about our people! You will be part of a collaborative, collegial, respectful and caring team; and,
- Have the opportunity to participate in a variety of teams including Collective Social Responsibility (CSR), Wellness, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, Special Events and more!
McInnes Cooper is committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive, representative of the communities in which we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through our on-line application process.
As part of the recruitment process, MC will provide accommodation(s) to candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation(s) to participate in the recruitment process with us, please contact at Alana Burgess at [email protected] or 902.455.8260.
A little bit about us
McInnes Cooper is among Canada's 25 largest business law firms and the exclusive member of Lex Mundi for Atlantic Canada, the world's leading network of independent law firms. Providing strategic counsel to industry-leading clients here and abroad for more than 160 years, we continue to thrive through our relentless focus on client success.
Our mission? To turn our knowledge, skills, and effort into value for our clients and our communities through dedicated leadership.
At McInnes Cooper you will find a team that values you. We recognize that our members are key in delivering outstanding client service and we provide a collaborative, professional environment with a member focused culture. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that values, respects and supports different perspectives, cultures and experiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
We recognize that our individual differences make us a stronger, more adaptable law firm. We embrace these differences and give all of our members the opportunity to develop their unique skills and talents.
Collective Social Responsibility
We are recognized as a leader and innovator amongst Canadian law firms in the field of Collective Social Responsibility. Our people are concerned citizens who enjoy giving back. Together, we focus on developing ongoing partnerships with community organizations that do amazing work, often despite limited resources and public awareness. As a firm, we have the ability to respond with contributions of time and monetary support, and our people give generously of their skills and effort.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Through our Pro Bono Program, we provide legal counsel to disadvantaged people and organizations that have difficulty gaining access to justice on matters of public interest.
Like any large organization, our operations leave a footprint on the environment. From paper use and waste production to transportation and energy consumption, we continually look for opportunities to minimize that impact.