Do you enjoy the world of real estate working with clients, supporting their dreams? Do you excel working in a fast pace environment with multiple priorities?
Our Real Property team is seeking an experienced Property Paralegal to join our Halifax office for a full time permanent position. As part of the Real Property team, you will support the real property lawyers in our Halifax office, ensuring the needs of our clients are exceeded with every interaction.
What you'll do
As a Property Paralegal, you will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting in all aspects of real estate transactions including residential, commercial, condominium, new construction and subdivision property files;
- Assisting with share and purchase transactions, commercial financings, developer and condominium sales by reviewing and drafting closing documents, including resolutions, officers' certificates, and security documents for financings;
- Preparing closing books and drafting reporting letters and opinions; and,
- Conducting all accounting related processes for all property transactions, including liaising with financial institutions to obtain mortgage releases and to deposit closing funds.
What you'll need
The successful candidate will possess the following skill set:
- The ideal candidate will have a Paralegal or Legal Administration diploma or other related education, with experience in a legal support role;
- 5 years experience assisting with commercial property and/or residential property matters
- Experience in drafting land registry office (LRO) forms for subdivisions and submitting Parcel Description Certification Applications (PDCAs) for new developments;
- Experience with historical title searching and migrations;
- Exceptional technology skills, with proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Office, legal billing systems and Conveyancer;
- Excel in a demanding, high-pace team environment, be highly detail-oriented, and be flexible to changing priorities;
- Excellent communication skills, a special focus on client service and the highest degree of professionalism; and,
- A positive and collaborative team player with the highest level of personal integrity, always assisting others to ensure the overall team goals are achieved.
A little bit about us
McInnes Cooper is among Canada's 25 largest business law firms and the exclusive member of Lex Mundi for Atlantic Canada, the world's leading network of independent law firms. Providing strategic counsel to industry-leading clients here and abroad for more than 160 years, we continue to thrive through our relentless focus on client success.
Our mission? To turn our knowledge, skills, and effort into value for our clients and our communities through dedicated leadership.
At McInnes Cooper you will find a team that values you. We recognize that our members are key in delivering outstanding client service and we provide a collaborative, professional environment with a member focused culture. We are committed to creating an inclusive work environment that values, respects and supports different perspectives, cultures and experiences.
Diversity & Inclusion
We recognize that our individual differences make us a stronger, more adaptable law firm. We embrace these differences and give all of our members the opportunity to develop their unique skills and talents.
Collective Social Responsibility
We are recognized as a leader and innovator amongst Canadian law firms in the field of Collective Social Responsibility. Our people are concerned citizens who enjoy giving back. Together, we focus on developing ongoing partnerships with community organizations that do amazing work, often despite limited resources and public awareness. As a firm, we have the ability to respond with contributions of time and monetary support, and our people give generously of their skills and effort.
Pro Bono Legal Services
Through our Pro Bono Program, we provide legal counsel to disadvantaged people and organizations that have difficulty gaining access to justice on matters of public interest.
Like any large organization, our operations leave a footprint on the environment. From paper use and waste production to transportation and energy consumption, we continually look for opportunities to minimize that impact.
Are you interested?
Work With Us
Our team members have access to:
- Defined-benefit pension plan;
- Firm-paid health and dental benefits;
- Time for you:
- Including vacation, personal and sick days.
- Balancing life:
- Work from home / Flex work options available for many team members.
- Our Team - we can't say enough about our people! You will be part of a collaborative, collegial, respectful and caring team; and,
- Participating in a variety of teams including our Corporate Social Responsibility, Wellness, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion and so many more.
McInnes Cooper is committed to building an environment that is diverse and inclusive, representative of the communities in which we serve. We welcome and encourage applications from persons who identify as racially visible, Indigenous, persons with disabilities, women in underrepresented roles and members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community. Applicants from these equity groups may self-identify through our on-line application process.
As part of the recruitment process, MC will provide accommodation(s) to candidates with disabilities. If you require an accommodation(s) to participate in the recruitment process with us, please contact Amanda Walker at [email protected] or 902.455.8153.